Controversial opinions on metal

Agalloch's songs are way more dynamic than Primordial's, but that isn't a weak point in Primordial's music at all. Also, the vocals in both bands are awesome in my opinion.

How anyone could call MAYH their best and then go on to hate Still Life is beyond me. I say the former and the latter are uno and due.

Yeah, because Agalloch is a better band, so they don't need to compare with Opeth. They also don't play similar music, so there's no point in even discussing something so stupid.

Yeah, because Agalloch is a better band, so they don't need to compare with Opeth. They also don't play similar music, so there's no point in even discussing something so stupid.

Yeah whatever.

They're two of the biggest (if not in fact THE two biggest) metal bands with an acoustic fetish, so there's more than enough precedent to compare them.

Agalloch will never be able to catch up to Opeth's musical strength. I'm not even a very big Opeth fan and I do like Agalloch but they look so weak next to Opeth.

They still don't play similar styles of music or sound similar. That's like going, "Led Zeppelin and Darkthrone can be compared because they both have electric guitars."

Yeah whatever.

They're two of the biggest (if not in fact THE two biggest) metal bands with an acoustic fetish, so there's more than enough precedent to compare them.

Agalloch will never be able to catch up to Opeth's musical strength. I'm not even a very big Opeth fan and I do like Agalloch but they look so weak next to Opeth.

lol

Agalloch is FAR superior to Opeth in every respect aside from perhaps technical ability.

I must agree with Omni, Agalloch's style differs drastically from that of Opeth. Agalloch used alot of influence from Sol Invictus in first couple of albums and that gave them such a huge folk sound. Opeth sort of had the folk sound with Orchid and Morningrise but beyond that i don't really link them to anything folk in nature.

Agalloch is mostly influenced by black metal, doom metal, neofolk and post-rock, and Opeth is influenced by progressive rock and death metal, so they don't sound very similar at all aside from the fact that both bands have soft/loud parts with acoustic/electric guitars and clean/harsh vocals, and of course, the vocal styles are also different, too. Opeth is also much more metal-oriented most of the time.

LOL you guys are crazy. "They're completely different... except for this, this, this, this, and this." Seriously, what's so hard about comparing the two bands most obsessed with acoustic guitars and clean vocals? I wouldn't have a hard time comparing Cannibal Corpse to Avil Lavigne. You guys would?

But the problem is the fact that you and I have differing opinions, therefore I'm not being hypocritical. If I were to concede to the idea that Opeth's material is all the same, then you'd be correct.

Listen, I'm not stupid, yeah some of Opeth's material has the same patterns or layout, but so does every band. The problem with Primordial (IMO) is that they do it in a way that turns me off.

Why aren't you on msn Thoth? I want to cuss you out.

that's fine. i and others feel that they have basically been making the same album since Still Life with only minor cosmetic adjustments. I don't have a problem at all with bands repeating myself mind you... some of my favs pretty much make the same album over and over again also.
i wasn't on MSN because I was at school using the computer in the library.

I wouldn't have a hard time comparing Cannibal Corpse to Avil Lavigne. You guys would?

I tend only to compare things that are actually similar to each other, so yes. Although both of the things you just named are comparable in talent in my opinion.

LOL you guys are crazy. "They're completely different... except for this, this, this, this, and this." Seriously, what's so hard about comparing the two bands most obsessed with acoustic guitars and clean vocals? I wouldn't have a hard time comparing Cannibal Corpse to Avil Lavigne. You guys would?

You sir, nearly accomplished the feat of forcing my eyes to roll to the back of my head. Well done.