Controversial opinions on metal

I checked out agalloch recently since lots of people were saying in the Opeth forum how great they are and the similarities to Opeth that they have. I listened to them and was like Huh?...

The only similarities I can see are to Orchid and Morningrise - and the songs I heard were nothing on those albums. While I quite enjoyed the folk influences and the ambient passages, most of the riffs are utterly boring and unoriginal.

They definately have nothing on post MAYH Opeth.

My controversial opinion? Emperor suck ;)

This statement made me go 'wat' for multiple reasons and I hope you choose to expand upon WTF you're talking about here.

The melodies aren't obvious enough? That actually seems to sum up what he's talking about pretty well.

Opeth are a "cut-and-paste" band where as Agalloch actually has coherent songwriting. Obviously, I prefer the latter by quite a large margin.

The only thing about later Opeth that I've ever enjoyed was Mikael's vocals, but since the music is horribly boring and meanders without ever getting anywhere (see: most of "Reverie/Harlequin Forest"), I don't listen to their music.

Agalloch's songs are long, but they're definitely way more dynamic and varied in style that Opeth songs, even if some people aren't used to music that favors atmosphere over being metallic.

boring? sure I can see that, but unoriginal? What?

Watershed is the best post-Still Life Opeth.

I just felt like I'd heard it before - probably because I've listened to a lot of Moonsorrow and Agalloch reminded me of them. They meander around without really getting anywhere.

Opeth do ocassionaly go too far with their extended passage (still don't get the Harlequin forest hate, one of my favs off GR) I can accept that. My least favourite Opeth song is Black Rose Immortal.

I'm sorry but the people saying Opeth's songwriting is incoherent is a massive pile of balls. The Moor, GoP and Deliverance are long 10 minute+ songs full of fantastic riffs, beautiful melodies and incredable lyrics - they also flow incredably well considering their size. As you can guess I'm a big Opeth fan, and I can understand why they aren't everyone's cup of tea but to accuse them of being boring or bad songwriters is just a lie.

Moonsorrow and Agalloch definitely aren't similar bands.

Give me some suggested listening then - I'm only going off their myspace atm. I'm not saying I hate them or anything, a lot of it I found enjoyable, just not quite what I expected considering how many people have been singing their praises.

Example : nearly 5 minutes into "Limbs" and I've not been grabbed by anything, very simplistic riffs (reminds me a bit of Primordial (early)) However, its got very nice atmosphere to it and I could quite easily listen to it in the background. Vocals just kicked in and they're not massively inspiring. Pretty stock black metal.

If you heard "Limbs" and think it sounds like Primordial or Moonsorrow, I'm not even going to bother.

In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion is their signature song so that I suppose, but I suggest you listen to The Mantle as a whole.