Controversial opinions on metal

Bro, all I said was that Korn didn't invent the 7-string.

& I don't think I've ever heard any Mexican death bands. Give me the top 3 standards from Mexico.

The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph
Cenotaph - The Gloomy Reflection Of Our Hidden Sorrows
Shub Niggurath - Evilness and Darkness Prevails

& I don't think I've ever heard any Mexican death bands. Give me the top 3 standards from Mexico.

The only two really good Mexican dm bands that I can think of off the top of my head are the Chasm and Cenotaph.

edit: oh snaps, mort beat me to it. It's nice to see that you're a Cenotaph fan, mort. They're awesome; I wonder why I never hear anybody talk about them.

what Mort said

also 'Conjuration of the Spectral Empire' by The Chasm, and 'Riding Our Black Oceans' by Cenotaph, to flesh those out more.

IMO The Chasm has some of the best songwriting out there on record right now. I have everything they've put out. 'Deathcult' especially is pretty ultimate.

True, but Vai was using them for quite awhile before them & he proved that you could do more with a 7 string than play drop-b power chords.

Regardless how great of a guitarist Vai is do not care for him nor enjoy music like that.

I find Dino's guitar playing on FF Demanufacture and Obsolete pretty inventive original and unique and he did his own thing and showed skill in an unorthodox way. Who cares if he did not wank his guitar sound like and play the same way as thousands of wanker guitarists.

I never got into Steve Vai. I'm more of a Friedman/Becker fan. Dragon's Kiss has some absolutely beautiful guitar playing on it. Cacophony's Speed Metal Symphony is cool too, though it's just a bit overly-wanky and the actual songs w/ vocals are stupid. It should've been completely instrumental.

I love Becker/Friedman... I also am a die hard Yngwie nut. I thought Cacophony had so much potential. I even dug the cheesiness of the lyrics & the way they were sung. There were cool songs in there, but the solos sounded like a big ball of fuzz because of the shitty mixing. If there are still masters to those two Cacophony albums lying around they could greatly benefit from revamped re-masters. Everything sounds fine but the solos.

Zeph, you seem to be a big Limbonic Art nerd, do you know the name of the guy who did the artwork for "Moon In The Scorpio" and "In Abhorrence Dementia"?

I can actually answer that, it's one of the members that does their artwork. Morfeus, if I'm not mistaken.

Helloween are overrated. But I am listening to them today regardless.

This just reminded me. I still haven't heard much Limbonic Art.
Do so. Great symphonic black metal.

Trey Azagthoth has been using seven string guitars since Covenant, which came out in '93. I'm sure that contributed to the popularity of seven strings in the metal world. Korn and Fear Factory's use of seven strings probably only popularized it for dumb faggots.
Agreed.

Regardless how great of a guitarist Vai is do not care for him nor enjoy music like that.
Dude, he's so fucking boring. Also, all the whammy tricks he does are just a more pretentious version of Satch.

I remember hearing Bloodbath used 7 string guitars on specific Nightmares Made Flesh songs. I think Unblessing The Purity and The Fathomless Mastery might be 7 string but am not sure.

To Mega Therion is as good as Morbid Tales if not better.

I dunno about the span of their career, but 'Keeper 2' is definitely overrated, strange how a bunch of purists cling to it when it has goofier and weaker stuff scattered in it than a lot of newer 'flower metal' bands that catch the same flak.

Darkthrone are one of the most overrated metal bands and there is nothing musically redeeming about them for the most part.

Soulside Journey is their best album musically their most creative and best sounding album.

Their latest two albums are a lot better and more interesting than their previous albums.