Controversial opinions on metal

Metal-Archives are total bullshit sometimes. Many of the punks that review over there are completely biased just to gain internet credintials. No album wholeheartedly deserves a 0% just as no album deserves a 100%. Bands like Sikth & Genghis Tron are regected entry into the archives while they have Rush on the list. Being influential to metal is cool, but that doesn't make a band metal. By their retarded theory Led Zeppelin & Jimi Hendrix should be on the archives.

We would end at 1 this way and then there would only be one possible rating.

I disagree that no album deserves 100%.

Well, I'm very much skeptical about overrating albums. My ratings go very deep. Anything that gets a 90% or more from me I'm going to be calling an amazing album probably for the rest of my life (or my rating is wrong).

If there's a song on an album I don't particulary care for then that album is not worthy of a 100% because it's not 100% amazing all the way through. If there's something with the production or vocals of an album it will hold it back as well. I'm so through that I would even go far enough to say a shitty guitar solo or chorus would hold an album back from getting a 100%.

Not everyone is like me when rating an album, however, & I think there's a problem with that. Some people will listen to an album twice & say it's teh best album evar giving it 100% & the same thing happens with the 0% too. I honestly do not ever recall hearing a metal album that I hated so much I would give it a 0%.

My favorite album of all time, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk doesn't get 100% from me because there are still very minor flaws, especially in Ihsahn's clean vocals.

Metal-archives is pretty biased in accepting bands. For whatever reason though they have Moi dix Mois. :confused:

And though I do think 100% ratings are given out far too often, I don't see what's wrong with giving an album a rating that high. It's obvious that there isn't such thing as a perfect album and there's nothing even close to a perfect album - so you might as well throw out any remotely high ratings in the process if "perfection" is part of the evaluating process. We are all evaluating music on a subjective level anyhow.

Low-end ratings like 0% are the mark of a childish or ignorant reviewer. Nothing more really needs to be said. It's remarkable how metal-archives is open to accepting so many poorly written reviews.

I still had disagreements, but I used to think MA was pretty solid in their decisions until I found out about Soundgarden and AIC. I've always been one who feels that grunge's connection to metal gets underrated, but it's still not metal. If MA has Rush then they need to add Dillinger Escape Plan and Atreyu ASAP.

However, even if MA is random and senseless, I will still continue to use it as a counter against Wikipedia in the various arguments I get into on Classic Rock boards where people claim that Zep and Styx are metal.

My favorite album of all time, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk doesn't get 100% from me because there are still very minor flaws, especially in Ihsahn's clean vocals.

Replace Anthems with Dimension Hatröss/The Sham Mirrors/Terria and "Ihsahn's clean vocals" with some minor flaw of the album in question and yes, I agree.