Controversial opinions on metal

Wurd. The only close band in the 4 that come close to Slayer, are Metallica.
Metallica would be my second favorite, but I don't know how close it is for me. I like Slayer quite a bit more. Megadeath really only have two albums I like, and the overall attitude of Anthrax's music strikes me as a bit silly and lighthearted (their music doesn't seem serious enough, for lack of a better description).

Youthanasia is a good album. The lyrics are some of their darkest.

That's a tough call between saying which of the two is better. Youthanasia probably edges out the self-titled Metallica album by a little bit though.

Only somewhat IMO. It is a significant step down from ...And Justice for All in my book, in part, but not only due to the face that it was their first non-thrash album.

They were trying to make their music more accessible with the self-titled album... which means they left everything thrash on the editing room floor. IMO it was the biggest mistake of their career, because once they changed their sound they couldn't get it back (not that they wanted to, but it sounds like they did with death magnetic).

They were trying to make their music more accessible with the self-titled album... which means they left everything thrash on the editing room floor. IMO it was the biggest mistake of their career, because once they changed their sound they couldn't get it back (not that they wanted to, but it sounds like they did with death magnetic).
I agree. It's totally obvious that the Black Album was a conscious effort to reach a more mainstream audience. The songs become much softer, catchier, and simplistic. Nothing Else Matters, in particular, was an extreme departure from anything Metallica had done before, and a warning of sorts about the direction the band was taking.

I like Youthanasia in the same way i can like some AOR, nothing that's gonna turn your life upside down but ok to have in the background sometimes.

tbh Cryptic was their Black album, Youthanasia and Risk were more like Load and Reload except way, way worse, and then The World Needs A Hero is their St. Anger - an embarrassingly bad attempt at getting back on track - and The System Has Failed is their Death Magnetic - a slightly less embarrassing attempt at getting back on track.

Btw I've listened to UA again and revised my opinion...I remember it being faster and better. There's some good songs on there, but I'd say it's about even with TSHF.

While we're discussing thrash...
I hate most of it.

Megadeth is my favourite out of the big four, and I say that solely based on the awesomeness of Rust In Peace. Their other stuff is good fun at best but does nothing for me.
And then the ultimate controversy: Slayer bores the fucking shit outta me. However, let us not get stuck up on that; you can neither force me to change my opinion nor stab me in the face across the internet, no matter how much you want to.

...And Voivod is the best thrash band ever.

@Ultimate Symphony: Pedestrian, yea. I'm typing in the dark.

Wah-wah solos, mushy production, uninspired stop-start tempo changes, it's a pretty unexciting album. AJFA spits out nails,the self-titled album is full of memories for me, MOP feels pretty bland for the most part.

While we're discussing thrash...
I hate most of it.

Megadeth is my favourite out of the big four, and I say that solely based on the awesomeness of Rust In Peace. Their other stuff is good fun at best but does nothing for me.
And then the ultimate controversy: Slayer bores the fucking shit outta me. However, let us not get stuck up on that; you can neither force me to change my opinion nor stab me in the face across the internet, no matter how much you want to.

...And Voivod is the best thrash band ever.

Leave the hall.

@Ultimate Symphony: Pedestrian, yea. I'm typing in the dark.

Wah-wah solos, mushy production, uninspired stop-start tempo changes, it's a pretty unexciting album. AJFA spits out nails,the self-titled album is full of memories for me, MOP feels pretty bland for the most part.

Production is an irrelevant aesthetic in this case, in mop you can hear all that goes on pretty well. Also, I myself cannot see how an album that is more much more commercialized (and more simple in song structure) is any less pedestrian than MOP.