Controversial opinions on metal

Doom is basically an unnecessary subgenre: everything that "doom" as whole does is duplicated elsewhere by death metal, black metal or heavy metal (or, in the case of South of Heaven, by speed metal), but without the limiting aesthetic uniformity.

Hey what do you know... we agree for once. Almost. I listen and like some doom, but yes, I think that whatever the different forms of doom are trying to evoke (epicness, sadness, anguish etc etc) those other genres you named in most cases do it better and, as you say, without the "limiting aesthetic uniformity".

So where do you get the heavy and really well written riffs together with depressive and religious lyrics like Black Sabbath, Saint Vitus, Pentagram, etc. in other genres? :)

@Ultimate Symphony: Perhaps "pedestrian" is the wrong word to use in this context. Let's just say that the majority of MOP just plods along without me taking notice.

sorry i'm not allowed to entertain such stupid ridiculous points he probably isn't even serious about anyway

I don't understand why you don't think he's being serious about that. Do you realize who that guy is? He's not exactly known for having popular views. You should at least request reasons for his view instead of being a condescending prick. It might actually turn out to be a fruitful discussion.

When "forest metal" is a term that actually gets used, it's gone too far. What happened to metal being metal. I can understand genres for the basics: Death metal, black metal, thrash, but really it's all just metal. There's a similairity between every genre. It's called metal.
METAL! METAL!

Whether it makes you angry, sad, or happy, it doesn't really matter. And this discussion is fairly pointless.

Which type of Forest metal are you referring to? Tropical Rainforest Metal, Sub-tropical Forest Metal, Mediterranean fForest Metal, Temperate Forest Metal, Coniferous Forest Metal or Montane Forest metal? I think it is important to make that distinction instead of using the generalized "Forrest Metal" tag.

Laugh if you want, but at least be honest with yourself. Most of the really successful doom albums are basically played in the style of other genres, but with more down tempo bits. Ceremonium is basically death metal. So is the first Cathedral album. Stormcrowfleet is a lot closer to Burzum or Summoning in approach than it is to any Wino project. The classic Solitude Aeturnus albums are all much more like Arch-era Fates Warning than they are like "doom metal," so, for that matter, is Nightfall from Candlemass. Most of the stuff that embraces a purely "doom" approach just sucks.

Okay, I've got it all figured out...

We take all the doom metal bands and re-classify them as black, death, prog, etc. All bands that do not play slow will fall under a single "fast metal" genre. Darkthrone is blackened fast, Morbid Angel fast death, and so on.

Which type of Forest metal are you referring to? Tropical Rainforest Metal, Sub-tropical Forest Metal, Mediterranean fForest Metal, Temperate Forest Metal, Coniferous Forest Metal or Montane Forest metal? I think it is important to make that distinction instead of using the generalized "Forrest Metal" tag.

Oh sorry. I should have been clear. Sub-tropical Forest Metal.