Controversial opinions on metal

I agree, but one thing that pisses me off is when people complain about the production on And Justice For All being shitty. That fucking gets under my skin. The reason is because these are many times people that praise Casio 4-track karaokee black metal. Justice is a superb album in all aspects.

Takin' cheap shots at me, aren't ya? :lol: I love the album, but the production is too dry. Btw, you can't really compare black metal production with AJFA. Music is way too different and the idea behind it too.

I agree, but one thing that pisses me off is when people complain about the production on And Justice For All being shitty. That fucking gets under my skin. The reason is because these are many times people that praise Casio 4-track karaokee black metal. Justice is a superb album in all aspects.
Production-wise, it's not fantastic. They over-scooped the guitars, virtually removed the bass guitar (due to Burton's death/Newsted's "hazing"), and added way too much bass to the other instruments to try to make up for the lack of bass guitar. The songs are fucking awesome though, which as we've said, is what ultimately matters!

This will be another controversial opinion of mine: I don't care for the majority of "Master of Puppets"

Here's a contraversial opinion...Cradle of Filth really aren't all that bad at all.

Seriously.

Yes, so a couple of their later albums are a bit "meh", but Damnation And A Day, for instance, is a fine extreme metal album.

i hate that album. pretentious, overlong, boring. i like their early cds quite a bit though. :)

Production-wise, it's not fantastic. They over-scooped the guitars, virtually removed the bass guitar (due to Burton's death/Newsted's "hazing"), and added way too much bass to the other instruments to try to make up for the lack of bass guitar. The songs are fucking awesome though, which as we've said, is what ultimately matters!

I agree with all that you said. The songs a re great the sound isnt. It would of course be even better with good sound but its not so bad its unlistenable. And besides there is a really good version with bass floating around called "and justice for jason". Its actually done in a very tasteful manner. Not at all sounding like somthing was added years and years after the fact.

The first 4 Metallica albums will always remain in high regard. Every band has their prime. Plenty of bands stick around longer than they should.

Controversy? Here is something that should get me filleted. Removed from the rest of the album, and listened to on it's own merits, I think the song "Love Zone" from Judas Priest is as good a song as anything they have done since Stained Class!

Replace Love Zone with Fever and you have my controversial Priest opinion. Love Zone isn't bad, though.

Fiction is the only album in the same league with The Gallery. The rest are markedly inferior.

After The Gallery their sound got progressively more mainstream and simplistic. The Gallery and Skydancer are so filled with subtle musical genius. I enjoy most of what Dark Tranquillity puts out, but The Gallery is just so epic without even trying to be.

I agree with all that you said. The songs a re great the sound isnt. It would of course be even better with good sound but its not so bad its unlistenable. And besides there is a really good version with bass floating around called "and justice for jason". Its actually done in a very tasteful manner. Not at all sounding like somthing was added years and years after the fact.

Justice sounds great. It's got that harsh, listener-unfriendly mix that just screams thrash.

Left Hand Path by Entombed is a little overrated. Their later albums like "Uprising" and "Morning Star" are great though.

i hate that album. pretentious, overlong, boring. i like their early cds quite a bit though. :)

Arg! How dare you say that! It's ambitious not pretentious, and epic not overlong or boring!! The lyrics are also quite good on this album. :p

I always have to deal with this argument concerning Floyd's The Wall and Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Controversial opinion: I still cannot fathom all the negative reactions to Eluveitie. They're far from one of my favorite bands, but I don't see how some people can declare their music boring or "horrible." I've listened to a good deal of celtic folk metal, and Eluveitie has a distinct sound. Their instrumentals are catchy, for the most part. It's folk melodies on top of mediocre melodeath, and the only conclusion I can reach as to why people loathe this group is that they despise celtic folk music.

@Einherjar: Well, judging from some of the things I've heard here, people just don't like folk metal.

Domination is Morbid Angels best album.