Controversial opinions on metal

Darkthrone has never released a bad album.

i've only heard the first 4 albums all of which i liked. the first one though seems highly overrated by many... i keep seeing it listed on this board as "top 5 death metal albums ever!!!" c'mon it was good but not that good.
but yeah the three albums after that are great though.
the only track i've heard post TH is too old too cold which i thought sucked.

The hell is so great about Panzerfaust? It doesn't even seem in the same league as their previous stuff.

Well from my recollection it's slow, meanders directionlessly between styles, has virtually no outstanding riffs, and the vocals are pretty irritating. So I'm not sure where all the "great" is.

I think its Panzerfaust I really like with the riffs but it the record with the vocals way up in the mix isnt it? I dont like that aspect of it. At times I can look past it, at times I cant so its a hit or miss for me depnding on the day. Its been a while since I listened to it though.

I do remember liking the first track alot. Great atmosphere.

Bah, here it is: I've never ever been able to get into Amorphis. I don't think they're bad or anything.... I just can't ever remember a single song, just nothing. :erk: I've only owned 'Elegy' but I was under the impression that was one of their best. What am I doing wrong?

I think its Panzerfaust I really like with the riffs but it the record with the vocals way up in the mix isnt it? I dont like that aspect of it. At times I can look past it, at times I cant so its a hit or miss for me depnding on the day. Its been a while since I listened to it though.

I do remember liking the first track alot. Great atmosphere.

Isn't the first one like the only black metal song on the album?

As far as how the vocals are mixed, I don't mind that so much - obviously it had different production goals than their earlier albums. I just think the vocals sound really half-assed.

I think there was potential in some of the sounds they tried - stuff like "The Hordes of Nebulah" sounds really evil and badass - but in general I find the riffs pretty boring and over-repeated.

That's sort of how I feel. :erk: It just doesn't go THERE in the songwriting....but there's so many elements about the band that appeal to me, I want to find some stuff that I really really get into.

I only like The Karelian Isthmus and Privilege of Evil so maybe give those a try. I don't like anything else they've done.

I know people tend to praise the old Amorphis a lot (especially Elegy), but give "Eclipse" a shot OCI. Can't beat songs like "Two Moons" and "Perkele(The God of Fire)" imo.

Orion, if you don't like Elegy then you probably wouldn't like Tales From the Thousand Lakes or The Karelian Isthmus. Their two most recent albums (Eclipse and Silent Waters) have a very different sound, but they are fucking incredible. I'm not sure what you'd think about them though. They almost tend towards a mainstream kind of sound sometimes. They're still great though.

:lol:

I think you need to re-evaluate your definition of Black Metal.

Excuse the fuck out of me if my memory of the album isn't perfect. I've only heard it twice. As I recall, though, black metal is a small portion of a handful of styles on it - death and doom being two prominent ones. Unless you interpret the experimental stuff to be black metal as well.

To each his own I guess, but quite honestly I have a hard time understanding how one could listen to an album like ABITNS and then call Panzerfaust great in the same context - especially as far as the riffs go.

If you can't hear black metal in the entirety of Panzerfaust then you clearly don't know shit about black metal and its origins. End of story.