Controversial opinions on metal

Borknagar play black/folk metal. There isn't much that's really all that "progressive" about them. They have some unique riffs/chord progressions, but other than that they're pretty straight forward.

Because it can't be Black Metal if Matt doesn't like it.

This obviously has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The only album on which they were clearly black metal was the first album. The second album had a good deal of black metal elements in part, but was already far removed from the genre in many respects, and obviously they continue to move further and further away from it. And this is not at all to suggest a correlation.

Not quite. Some guy insulted me, so I insulted him back saying his mom was a whore. Then he pushed me, and I hit him so hard he lost vision in his left eye. He tried to sue me (hence the almost getting in trouble part), but it didn't hold up since he initiated contact and was 6'5, three inches taller than me.

Uh huh...

This obviously has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I was poking fun.

The only album on which they were clearly black metal was the first album. The second album had a good deal of black metal elements in part, but was already far removed from the genre in many respects, and obviously they continue to move further and further away from it. And this is not at all to suggest a correlation.

It's my belief that anything that's Black Metal at its core can rightfully be called Black Metal. Borknagar's first four, even five albums possess these core elements, and all the bells and whistles thrown on top of it give the impression that it's something different.

Well, I think wiki has them as "progressive bm" but then again, I have noticed that the progressive tag seems to get stuck to any band who resembles [genre_x] and adds a keyboard.

I didn't say tags were true, I meant that genre labelers who don't really listen to x_genres have a tendency to do this when labeling.

I think Sentenced - The Funeral Album is pretty good. Not as good as 'Frozen' or 'The Cold White Light' or 'Amok' but not as horrible as a lot of people say it is, way better than the turd known as 'Crimson'..

also, in before random death metal purists recommend 'North From Here' and nothing else

Why, would you say North From Here and nothing else when Shadows of the Past exist? :p

I've never heard Shadows. I have North From Here and got my copy of this many many years ago. I tried listening to it recently and could only get through the first two songs before turning it off.

Sentenced is meh. There's millions of bands like Sentenced in Finland, they all sound exactly the same. There's much better stuff than the mainstream crap if you dig a little deeper into the underground scene.