Controversial opinions on metal

After a thorough reacquaintance in the form of MANY listens I've come to the conclusion that AJFA is simply peerless, and I can't think of another metal record that's dearer to me. Not because it's the the most technical or virtuosic or whatever else.This is the one album that really takes me back: to hanging out with my high-school buds after graduation many of whom, I've lost contact with (one of them was responsible for getting me into metal).

I remember upon first purchasing And Justice for All(it was the last Metallica album that I bought ) listening to it for months on end almost on a daily basis and never getting tired of it. Already then it stood out for me as their most engaging work.

After a long while my addiction to Metallica subsided, giving way to interest in more extreme metal.
Starting out with Death, Hypocrisy, Dimmu Borgir and Emperor, I said "fuck off" to Metallica and started listening to DM and BM religiously. And through this forum I've become acquainted with so many awesome underground classics in those genres.
With time however I starting getting burnt out on a lot of it, so I returned to Metallica(among those other gateway bands I've neglected), and surprisingly or not, still find many of them to be great, with Metallica's AJFA being the king of the hill so to speak. Definitely a pillar in my life for all the reasons stated and many more that I can't even express.

AJFA is one of those albums that gets under your skin and wont move. i borrowed a lot of metallica froma friend when i really got into metal 5/6 years ago, about 13? AJFA stood out so much, as did MOP. but the opening of blacked, to the fantastic one, the shortest straw, dyers eve. all the way through it pumps and pumps and keeps the adrenaline flowing, either with anger, regret, sympathy, whatever. it just doesnt let go.

i listened to it and MOP about the same time, and i listened to MOP more at first. but as i moved onto other albums, AJFA i kept listening to increasingly so. its albums like that are the classics, the ones that dont age and stand the test of time.:headbang:

Ride the Lightning > * metal

people who don't love manilla road are seriously fucking deaf

What are your favorites? Crystal Logic is alright but most of the songs feel pretty repetitive and the vocalist is a nasally fuck. Open the Gates feels pretty much the same, but with no Necropolis which automatically makes it worse.

I'll probably get a ton of shit for this one but i don't see all the hype surrounding Kreator. The song "Hordes of Chaos" is annoying and even their older stuff is meh at best.

It seems to be your mission in life to fail at everything.
Also, Hordes of Chaos should not have been the single.
Warcurse should have.

Last edited by a moderator:
That song is pretty lame, but the part where it's all
"For now my name WILL FOREVER BE REMEMBERED"
is badass.

This is the BEST fucking part, you're gay because you didn't mention it...

PAIN! I HAVE LIVED IN ENDLESS PAIN
NOW I PAY IT BACK IN SPADES!
BURNING PANIC ICE COLD FEAR IS IN THEIR EYYYYYYEEEEEEEEES!!!!
BLOOD! IS THE LAST THING THAT I SEE
SAC-REH-FICE AND A-GO-NY!
ON-MY-FIN-AL-DAY-YOU'LL-HAVE-TO-DIE-WITH-ME-FOR-NOW-I

RUN AMOK RUN RUN AMOK RUN RUN AMOK RUN...RUN AAAAAAMOOOOK RUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

It's weird, because it felt like they deliberately held back the thrash attack with that one, yet the thrashing parts are pretty awesome.

I really like what they wrote on it, but the riffs drag on too long IMO.

They're fucking amazing riffs, so I don't feel they drag on too long at all. Gives me more time to savor them. :p

Also, Hordes of Chaos (the album) was alright, but Hordes of Chaos (the song) was complete shit IMO. Very all-over-the-place and poorly-written.

I'll probably get a ton of shit for this one but i don't see all the hype surrounding Kreator. The song "Hordes of Chaos" is annoying and even their older stuff is meh at best.

Ride The Lightning is lightyears ahead of AJFA. It's flawless start-finish. AJFA's thin production is an instant turnoff.

disagree on Kreator, agree on AJFA

Have you checked out Extreme Aggression? How could you be into metal and not like Betrayer. It just defies logic.

Last edited by a moderator: