Controversial opinions on metal

Ha, I saw him open for SOAD years ago with Mr. Bungle, people were throwing beer and shit at him they hated him so much. I'll give him credit though for continuing on like a trooper.

Hah! Having beer thrown at him was probably no big deal since the guy had cups and bottles of piss launched his way during some Faith No More concert back in the day.

You give me the impression of a person that never really listened to a 70's Priest album.

Judas Priest's 70's albums aren't simplistic "rock style" metal, and the fact that you appreciate Iron Maiden but hold that opinion of Judas Priest is incredibly weird. The song you're thinking of is called "Beyond the Realms of Death" and is, no surprise, from the 1970's. Their music from the 1980's is much more simplistic and rock-oriented, but definitely not their earlier albums.

Yeah, I never listened alot to anything Judas Priest, youre right about that. They have some excellent moments but I cant stand them in the long run.

I never said I liked Iron Maiden though. I never listen to them really and the one album I do like the most with them is the one that sounds the least like IM (The X Factor). I do however enjoy Iron Maiden live despite not being a huge fan. I cant say the same about Judas Priest.

FNM are fucking awesome. I prefer the two post-Jim Martin albums though, which is probably somewhat controversial.

and this is coming from a female. I think she's on to something...maybe she's right?

There are exceptions, but you know what we say, "exceptions prove the rule". For instance, Jex Thoth is pretty good and, MAINLY, fucking Détente, but Crosby's vocals aren't really all that pretty in the right sense. Except from those, je n'est sais pas really.

whiskey funeral did actually say "pretty" vocals, so I'm guessing she's not referring to a band like Detente, but actually meant stuff like Nightwish, Within Temptation etc.

Yeah I know. Just wanted to think about it in general. And Jex Thoth vocals aren't pretty? I don't know.

I think "metal" that heavily uses pretty female vocals is totally horrible and gay. There's my controversial metal opinion of the day.

I definitely agree with you. The only thing that bugs me and made me mention Nightwish is the fact that, no matter the fact they've always played 'gay metal' stuff, they had exactly the same genre back with Turunen, that they do now. So I'm pissed at those people who say that Nightwish turned gay/pop/shit only when Anette joined, even though they've always been the way they are now. Or even less interesting, dare I say.
I wholeheartedly agree on your opinion about female vocals combined with metal music. It definitely takes away the heaviness. Anyway, I personally don't think it's horrible, it just needs a specific mood and sentimental construction of one. I, for one, could listen to, let's say, Bodom for a week, then Windir and Satyricon for another, and then to Nightwish, Tristania, Leaves's Eyes and other kind of similar stuff for some time. It just requires a certain inner picture.

and this is coming from a female. I think she's on to something...maybe she's right?

Nah. A female saying that would be like a guy who just likes female metal singers saying 'metal bands with male vocals are to masculine angry or violent'

(I don't like female vocalists that sound like fucking dykes)

i cant really think of anything controversial to say atm.
this thread sucked all of the controversy out of me.