Controversial opinions on metal

I've never got the appeal of Still Life. On the Opeth forum it's what the prog dorks seem to like best, since a ton don't actually like death or black metal. But then again, people like it on this forum too. It's an incredibly flawed album. It introduces verse-chorus-like structures to poor effect, and the songs that don't do that are a mishmash just as bad structurally as anything on the first two albums, (i.e. White Cluster). Then factor in mastering flaws, flat production, nonexistent bass, and over-reliance on clean vocals. It's just not real good.

Still Life is my favourite probably for sentimental reasons, but as a concept album I think it works brilliantly. Its got some incredably emotive passages (intro to Moonlapse Vertigo, the ending of White Cluster etc.) and also some of my favourite Opeth guitar playing (The Moor :kickass:). However, I would probably say that BWP or Deliverance are the better albums. I'm verging towards Deliverance myself but I tend to go back and forth.

As to Omni - yes, Opeth will have clean and heavy passages. Yes, they will have growls and clean vocals. Yes, they will have random acoustic interludes in the middle of albums. But each album has its own sound, while still being Opeth. Most bands are predictable - I could say *insert black metal band* are repetitive and boring cos they use blast beats and tritones...

...and yet you're clearly just generalizing on a genre that you're seemingly not very familiar with if you try to use those as examples of how black metal bands all sound the same.

I've actually heard every single Opeth album, and the way they use those different type of elements has become very predictable and formulaic.

Here's some really controversial stuff on Opeth; Dirge For November is the best song on Blackwater Park, and now I'm not only talking about the acoustic parts but the whole thing, such a sad song. And I might ad that I'm not counting Still Day Beneath The Sun or Patterns In The Ivy II, two of the best songs they've ever made.

...and yet you're clearly just generalizing on a genre that you're seemingly not very familiar with if you try to use those as examples of how black metal bands all sound the same.

I've actually heard every single Opeth album, and the way they use those different type of elements has become very predictable and formulaic.

Predictable and formulaic compared to what? Even if Opeth's sound has homogenised since their early days, I'd still call them one of the most diverse and evolutionary metal bands I've heard. I'd really like to know what standards of predictability you're using here.

The fact that their albums have consistently been chiefly composed of longer progressive-styled songs featuring alternating acoustic or quiet sections with clean vocals and heavier sections with death vocals, and their continuing use of the same type of other music elements, themes and aesthetics. They haven't evolved a real lot since Blackwater Park was released, just repeatedly released music in a similar style that follows the same type of formulas almost exclusively. I realize that they released an album that contained more laidback music and entirely clean vocals, but they didn't really change much aside from this one small detour.

The fact that their albums have consistently been chiefly composed of longer progressive-styled songs featuring alternating acoustic or quiet sections with clean vocals and heavier sections with death vocals, and their continuing use of the same type of other music elements, themes and aesthetics. They haven't evolved a real lot since Blackwater Park was released, just repeatedly released music in a similar style that follows the same type of formulas almost exclusively. I realize that they released an album that contained more laidback music and entirely clean vocals, but they didn't really change much aside from this one small detour.

My question was: predictable and formulaic compared to what? I'm well aware of the pattern in Opeth's recent metal releases, but overall they have far more diversity than most metal bands. I just don't see why anyone would even gripe about this, other than to point out that Opeth are of course overrated by many.

They're more predictable than other bands because, even though they have this seemingly wide variety of elements at their disposal, they continue to use them the same way consistently, without doing anything that I don't already know is going to happen prior to actually hearing it. I can't say the same for most bands that I like, even though many of them rely on more simplistic song structures or stick to a few core instruments. It probably helps that not every song by them uses the same ideas and formula over and over again.

They're more predictable than other bands because, even though they have this seemingly wide variety of elements at their disposal, they continue to use them the same way consistently, without doing anything that I don't already know is going to happen prior to actually hearing it. I can't say the same for most bands that I like, even though many of them rely on more simplistic song structures or stick to a few core instruments. It probably helps that not every song by them uses the same ideas and formula over and over again.

Except most bands do exactly this - Opeth just do the same but with more elements. I would say that a band which uses elements that contain metal, acoustic and jazz influences is more varied than a band that purely has metal elements to it. I can't see how thats wrong... (awaits sarcastic reply)

The musical elements that they use are more varied, but like I already stated, they use them in a really consistently similar fashion, so their songwriting as a whole is not particularly varied despite the incorporation of a wider variety of musical elements. This is extremely easy to understand and was already stated by me in a clear and concise fashion, yet you seem to have not understood.