Controversial opinions on metal

i find a lot of the melodies smarmy and self-indulgent, no mood is sustained 'cause they're busy wanking off. i do like benighted plenty though.

MAYH rules the modest opeth roost.

The first two Opeth albums are the only ones worth listening to. The newest ones are really, really boring and samey.

Morningrise + the Steven Wilson albums are the best ones. Morningrise passes even though the style is immature, of sheer brilliance. People who'd put Orchid though above some of the later albums are faggots who don't understand good prog. Is Opeth formulaic at times? Yes, but never formulaic for the sake of it, considering Åkerfeldt's biggest influences you can see why he writes like he does.

The first two Opeth albums are the only ones worth listening to. The newest ones are really, really boring and samey.

i'm happy to accept that the first two contain many of opeth's best ideas, but the song structuring is so laughably bad that you can't really tell, and there are some seriously GODAWFUL passages. like, cringe-worthily mindbogglingly bad.

Morningrise carries far too much sentimental value for me to take off too many points for a few of the iffier moments. It works better if you just pretend the first two songs are an EP. Most of the goodness of the album is found there.

I've never got the appeal of Still Life. On the Opeth forum it's what the prog dorks seem to like best, since a ton don't actually like death or black metal. But then again, people like it on this forum too. It's an incredibly flawed album. It introduces verse-chorus-like structures to poor effect, and the songs that don't do that are a mishmash just as bad structurally as anything on the first two albums, (i.e. White Cluster). Then factor in mastering flaws, flat production, nonexistent bass, and over-reliance on clean vocals. It's just not real good.

I would have to say my favorite is Morningrise because it hits home for me a little more than the rest. But still, Still Life is better. As V5 said, it's the most listenable.

I cant tell you how many times I've tried to listen to Opeth because I like the old school swedish death metal sound of Bloodbath... and every time I've came to the same conclusion... even when just listening to the 2 albums with nearly no clean vocals (Deliverance/My Arms, Your Hearse) I cant get into it at all... get bored... and put it down.

Enjoy Opeth on long drives and when I'm at work but not what I listen to for say exercise or when drinking.

It can get a bit yawny hehe