Controversial opinions on metal

Matt Heafy is a good vocalist

facepalm.jpg

I don't know about Ildjarn, but Burzum is THE atmospheric metal band. Varg made the subgenre.

Paysage D'Hiver is THE Atmospheric metal band imho.

Ildjarn is not for everyone. But if you can't see the beauty in Burzum, you're outright missing the mark

Thats just the thing, it seems pretty ordinary. Esp. Det Som, The self Titled, and Filosofem. I read somewhere that someone said that Filosofem was the most emotionally charged album they ever heard, and i thought to myself "wow, they really havent heard many emotionally charged albums!" I do like Hvis.. for the record. And the Ambiant stuff is dumb.

Paysage D'Hiver is THE Atmospheric metal band imho.

Thats just the thing, it seems pretty ordinary. Esp. Det Som, The self Titled, and Filosofem. I read somewhere that someone said that Filosofem was the most emotionally charged album they ever heard, and i thought to myself "wow, they really havent heard many emotionally charged albums!" I do like Hvis.. for the record. And the Ambiant stuff is dumb.
Well, it's like a keycode, and if you see things differently, it's just impossible to get it. What that doesn't mean though, is that there's no emotion there. Even if you can't feel it, don't slag it.

i don't really like most of det som that much but the other metal albums own my soul. hvis is king, obviously.

i'm sick of opening threads and seeing people whine about soulside journey. it's really odd 'cause that album used to be so underheard and now it's so hyped there's been a fucking backlash. for the record i still absolutely LOVE it and consider it among the best death metal ever made, i can't imagine how beautiful and otherworldly it must've seemed in 1991 when there was basically nothing else even remotely similar (and to stand out in a year like that is a phenomenal achievement), but it's still completely unparalleled in many ways. has this amazing mythical grandeur coupled with complete apocalyptic indifference.