Controversial opinions on metal

They're really good. The compilation also has some awesome tracks like "Eksistensens Jeger" that aren't on any other releases by him.

I've listened to the one disc with most of the unreleased tracks (with Unknown Truths and Seven Harmonies) multiple times. But I feel the need to listen to Det Frysende Nordariket and Forest Poetry more often.

I listened to some Ildjarn. What do you guys like in it? I get that it's raw and aggressive and hateful, but I didn't find it really enjoyably so. On the otherhand, I only listened once to a handful of tracks and I've been known to make abrupt 180s opinionwise, so help me out here.

I'm not too fond of "Sons of Satan" being the opening song of Welcome to Hell. To me, "Welcome to Hell" (the song) would serve as a much better opening track. Nothing against "Sons of Satan" really as it is a good song, but it just doesn't have the impact as I would like to start that classic album.

I think it's pretty amusing as an opener. It starts off with a giant formless clusterfuck of noise, which is a fitting calling card for a band like Venom.

Hippocampus's review on RYM for Forest Poetry says it better then I ever could.
Hippocampus said:
Like the best black metal, this is music for the imagination. Each song holds endless possibilities that develop as you perceive its layers. Each song is a mixture of emotions that can be sorted out in any way you like. To people this means it's all the same, because they expect music to just entertain them - the pieces of the puzzle to magically assemble before them, fall in place and show them a nice picture. That's nice, but it's not art, because it doesn't push you to find a new understanding of music, it only shows you what you already know. Ildjarn's work can show you a different side of music, but it requires your participation - otherwise it would only confirm your preconceptions, which is not nearly as satisfying as it is to discover something new. Of course this is generally true for all good music, but Forest Poetry in particular embraces this idea in its ambiguous layers of distortion and multiple rhythms that allow a unique experience not only with each song, but with each listen as well.

Like in Strength and Anger, the cover is a visual aid to the concept of the album. It hides various symbols and simulates three dimensional images to stimulate your imagination.

I'm not familiar with the album and can't judge, but it sounds like he's saying "This album is just distorted noise and all the faggots will complain that there's no actual songwriting or music here but the true will be able to convince themselves it's good."

Just tell me what the best one is, then I'll buy whatever is cheapest.

His stuff looks to be less expensive on ebay than I thought. Most of it is ridiculously expensive on amazon. Next time I order stuff from ebay I'll see about picking something up. Likely to be a while, though; I'm saving for an ENGL.

I listened to some Ildjarn. What do you guys like in it? I get that it's raw and aggressive and hateful, but I didn't find it really enjoyably so. On the otherhand, I only listened once to a handful of tracks and I've been known to make abrupt 180s opinionwise, so help me out here.

It's hard to take in from the two albums I have heard. There are some really cool moments, though, despite all the grime and grit in the music.

It has recently struck me that I prefer several Carcass worship bands to Carcass themselves... these include General Surgery, Necrony, and The County Medical Examiners. I understand Carcass' importance fine and well... I just can enjoy the other bands more.

If you consider Exhumed a Carcass-worship-band I'd think you might have a valid point on the basis of Anatomy Is Destiny alone. Other than that I don't agree

[/Gorgoroth argument closed]

"Pentagram" = :OMG:o_O

"Antichrist" = :cool:

"Under The Sign of Hell" = :worship:rock: :heh:

and IMO "Destroyer" = :cool: :worship:

this post is sort of obnoxious since it opens with an emote and continues into a marathon of smilies, but that said I pretty much agree with it.

I hate Forest Poetry so I'm not motivated to get any more Ildjarn. The production is overly contrived to be painful to listen to, although I would tolerate it if there was any decent songwriting in there. Jangly tremolo riffs which all sound the same, drums nothing more than a metronome, that irritating farting bass sound, songs which starts randomly, go nowhere, and then finish randomly. Give me Transilvanian Hunger or Les Légions Noires any day.

It has recently struck me that I prefer several Carcass worship bands to Carcass themselves... these include General Surgery, Necrony, and The County Medical Examiners. I understand Carcass' importance fine and well... I just can enjoy the other bands more.

I actually agree with this.

Concerning Ildjarn,

The production is overly contrived to be painful to listen to, although I would tolerate it if there was any decent songwriting in there. Jangly tremolo riffs which all sound the same, drums nothing more than a metronome, that irritating farting bass sound, songs which starts randomly, go nowhere, and then finish randomly. Give me Transilvanian Hunger or Les Légions Noires any day.

I tend to agree, as I've never understood the 'genius' behind his work. I will admit to only playing songs here and there and I doubt I've listened to a whole album uninterrupted, so I concede that I may be missing out on some aspect of the music. So far though, this guy's description seems pretty dead on.

Anyone who doesn't like his music should listen to the compilation called Ildjarn-Nidhogg as it's more accessible and does contain some of his best work. The sound is also less raw. Even notorious Ildjarn-hating poser Andy Phelps (V.V.V.V.V.) liked the song that I showed him from it.

Last edited by a moderator: