Controversial opinions on metal

I agree. Christianity and metal don't go well together.

Ignorant sheep talk, this.

Can anyone else think of a band that has failed harder than Impending Doom?

I won't defend this band, because they are part of a genre I am not very familiar with, based on not being a fan of the style. I think all of those bands lack something. But Impending Doom did put on a pretty good show, though.

S/T is half filler. Killers, on the other hand, is damn near a masterpiece. ...

I agree about Killers, but not the S/T. I have always found Running Free a bit boring and rock and rolly, and Sanctuary was also never a favorite. Otherwise the Self Titled is amazing, as is Killers. I just watched a movie called Iron Maiden and the NWOBHM. Most of the people interviewed put the S/T superior to Killers, and said Killers lacked something. I disagree.

The band did well with Bruce, and I am not sure what another DiAnno album would have sounded like. I am just glad for the first two.

Just change your avatar because people wont shut up about glam every time you post otherwise.

It really only serves to amuse myself if someone posts something like,"dude you're a fuckin' fag,you like Poison,hahaha"! I often feel the need to be light hearted on these types of boards to offset the hardcore metal guys who take themselves way to seriously.

There is now an Opeth thread. Let there be no more mention of them.

Killers did not have the magic of Iron Maiden.

Why? It's not like those two songs are the epitome of good music or even remotely original and unique. That's a stupid thing to say about two incredibly standard acoustic songs that offer very little, if anything, that you can't hear anywhere else.

They're fucking awesome. That they're not unique isn't very relevant or much of a secret. That's some top notch singer/songwriter material in the same level as Nick Drake or Leonard Cohen.

It sounds more like they're trying hard to be those guys than reaching the same level as them. This especially applies to Nick Drake and Mikael's sudden infatuation with trying to sing like him. The lyrics also pale in comparison to the works of Drake and Cohen.

Top 5 discussions that have been discussed too much and need to end in this thread:

1. Opeth
2. Morbid Angel
3. Darkthrone
4. Slayer
5. Metallica

It will never end

I'd toss Ildjarn on their too, personally. Neither he nor Death is anywhere near Opeth/Slayer/Metallica level, but both conversations crop up a fair amount and always go the exact same way