Controversial opinions on metal

I'm not a huge Immortal fan. They have some cool songs here and there but for the most part, I have a very hard time taking them seriously.

Who said anything about serious? They're the Manowar of black metal.

Also, Emperor hate itt needs to die. Nightside is fucking win.

Also, Emperor hate itt needs to die. Nightside is fucking win.

Agreed.

We always end up coming back to the same argument, but the truth is that Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk is a fucking incredible album as well. Yes, it's overly theatrical, pretentious, cheesy... and ultimately a great, epic record.

That argument needs to die. I've never said it was bad, btw. I actually like all of their full lengths, including IX Equilibrium. An Elegy of Icarus is one of my favorite songs by them and there's a symphonic bit in Decrystalizing Reason that's got to be the most epic thing Ishan ever wrote.

Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism and Pure Holocaust, at least, sound pretty serious and awesome if you ask me. The debut is my favorite.

I can't get past the terrible guitar playing on older Immortal albums and don't care for them.

immortal are one of the few BM bands i can take seriously as people (self-aware with a sense of humour rather than wanking off over their own half-baked idealism), and musically i can't imagine not taking at least the early stuff seriously.

Nothing unless you hate riffs, some people hate riffs. It's that whole 'kill classic metal dead' thing. Except for Sabbath who are tolerated because they're 'doomy', or some thrash cuz it's all arrrgghh. And Immortal is supposed to be just like the first couple albums, all the time, even though the thrash on these albums out-thrashes any of this modern resurgent nonsense..

I don't understand all the hate for Children of Bodom. Their songs are structured well and they and Alexi can fucking shred on guitar. I'll admit their stuff was downhill after Follow The Reaper though. Blooddrunk was terrible.

And who gives a shit if they have mainstream exposure? They have about the same amount as Slayer, and Slayer are still awesome.