Controversial opinions on metal

I don't understand all the hate for Children of Bodom. Their songs are structured well and they and Alexi can fucking shred on guitar. I'll admit their stuff was downhill after Follow The Reaper though. Blooddrunk was terrible.

And who gives a shit if they have mainstream exposure? They have about the same amount as Slayer, and Slayer are still awesome.
Agree with this, aside from one thing.

Blooddrunk was good. Fact.

Nothing unless you hate riffs, some people hate riffs. It's that whole 'kill classic metal dead' thing. Except for Sabbath who are tolerated because they're 'doomy', or some thrash cuz it's all arrrgghh.

i see posts like this a lot and they're so clearly not true for the majority who prefer early immortal to later (around here at least), i swear some of these self-proclaimed anti-elitist types see sinister motivations in absolutely everything, usually without reason. "that whole 'kill classic metal dead' thing" just... doesn't exist on this board, at all.

"that whole 'kill classic metal dead' thing" just... doesn't exist on this board, at all.

There is a general disregard for memorable riffs and band uniqueness, though. A lot of the time I get the impression that bands like Sabbath, Metallica and Bathory are "just another doom/thrash/viking band" as far as many people are concerned.

How is the guitar playing bad?

I can only judge "Damned in Black" and "At the Heart of Winter". ATHOW being one of my favorite albums of all time. However that same album does have untight guitar playing. Its not something that takes away from the music for me. I actually appreciate that it isnt one of those super tight albums we have been getting used to today with all the digital technique and all.

Im not familiar with earlier Immortal yet but I can imagine thats where alot of the problem lies when it comes to performance.

How are Slayer "still awesome?" Their latest is really mediocre and lame and that was a major improvement over the two before it. They're honestly pretty poor at this point.

What kills Bodom for me is that they try to be silly and extreme at the same time and that just doesn't work for me.

I don't understand all the hate for Children of Bodom. Their songs are structured well and they and Alexi can fucking shred on guitar. I'll admit their stuff was downhill after Follow The Reaper though. Blooddrunk was terrible.

And who gives a shit if they have mainstream exposure? They have about the same amount as Slayer, and Slayer are still awesome.

I actually used to be a fan boy but since HCDR, I've lost a lot of respect for them. I figured though that it was only one bad album so it wasn't the end of Bodom. Then AYDY came out and I wasn't sure what to think about it but I didn't mind it because it was somewhat unique. Blooddrunk was just the final straw. The main reasons why most people stop liking a band after they get main stream exposure is...

1. They start to suck
2. They change genres and then suck at that
3. The gayest crowd of people you can possibly imagine start to listen to them.

Thank you, nobody ever seems to understand this. Sure, the music may still speak to some old fans for some reasons, that's fine, but there are ALSO DIFFERENT REASONS it starts speaking to this aforementioned group, and when most people outside of that group hear the music in question, they become repulsed by it in the opposite effect.

Blooddrunk is alright. it has a good balance of shredding and synth stuff imo.

I actually used to be a fan boy but since HCDR, I've lost a lot of respect for them. I figured though that it was only one bad album so it wasn't the end of Bodom. Then AYDY came out and I wasn't sure what to think about it but I didn't mind it because it was somewhat unique. Blooddrunk was just the final straw. The main reasons why most people stop liking a band after they get main stream exposure is...

1. They start to suck
2. They change genres and then suck at that

Well then again, I don't feel Bodom sucks nowadays. BD is my third favorite album behind FTR and HB, it's the best they've done in awhile.

My opinions on CoB's albums.

Something Wild - Great
Hatebreeder - Awesome
Follow The Reaper - Good
Hate Crew Deathroll - Mediocre
Are You Dead Yet? - Good
Blooddrunk - Crap

Just my opinion.

I love Wolverine Blues, people who talk about Entombed selling out with that one are dead wrong. To release an album like Wolverine Blues at the height of death metal popularity is so cool and unexpected.

It is not a bad album but they made better albums than that. Death n roll-era Entombed is underrated.

Children of Bodom are garbage. Quit talking about them.

Let's keep talking about CoB for another 2+ pages to piss off Murai.

I really don't get why people would hate their early work, aside from the vocals, which really aren't that irritating. The guitar work and a lot of the riffs are fantastic.

I liked everything up until Follow the Reaper, and after that I lost interest in them.