Controversial opinions on metal

Bal-Sagoth are a polarizng act, because you either hate the bombastic synths, overwrought narration, and low fantasy "comic book metal" that they play; or, you're able to laugh at the fact that Lord Byron is just enough of a nerd to not give a fuck.

Bal-Sagoth are pretty good who cares if it is nerdy as fuck or gimmicky or cheesy. I mean it is not like you people don't like other nerdy and comic-inspired metal like Slough Feg for example. :)

Controversial: I don't mind some blatant comedy bands, like We Butter We Bread With Butter... they just have to be good (so that excludes Dethklok).

Bal-Sagoth are pretty good who cares if it is nerdy as fuck or gimmicky or cheesy. I mean it is not like you people don't like other nerdy and comic-inspired metal like Slough Feg for example. :)

I love Slough Feg, but their main vocal style isn't a ridiculous deep narrator voice nor do they include cheesy pseudo epic orchestrations.

Manowar produce two kinds of music: stuff that is objectively terrible but is so over the top and silly that it's still fun, or at least funny, and music that is crude and primitive but somehow is actually pretty fucking good, as well as being over-the-top (Such as the entire album Sign of the Hammer). Then there's some stuff that's just shit, but not all that much until Fighting the World.

Bal-Sagoth belong to the "music-is-really-over-the-top-but-frequently-fun-and-the-whole-thing-is-really-silly-but-ultimately-really-pretty-kickass" camp.

is there actually a distinction between the two

bill-gates.jpg

I like Epicus Doomicus Metallicus to an extent, but damn I hate that album title. I much prefer bands who take themselves too seriously like Bal-Sagoth over bands that name their albums in pig latin :erk: