Controversial opinions on metal

I guess you might find them a bit boring, but they definitely don't "suck."
Of course; I wasn't saying they 'suck', I was just saying that I do not believe they are as good as most people state they are.

:lol:

This kid is fucking priceless!
As bizarre as it may seem, black metal has expanded shitloads over the past few years. I can understand how your typical Darkthrone and Burzum whore (you, for example) can't comprehend that there are plenty of artists currently active that are much more talented than the second-wave artists.

Schwärzung;8787979 said:
As bizarre as it may seem, black metal has expanded shitloads over the past few years. I can understand how your typical Darkthrone and Burzum whore (you, for example) can't comprehend that there are plenty of artists currently active that are much more talented than the second-wave artists.

I'm very well versed in black metal post-2000. It is in no way better. There's much more to 90s black metal than Darkthrone and Burzum and the other big name bands of the 90s. I'm not entirely discrediting modern black metal, but to say the genre's output nowadays is better than what was obviously its creative peak (1991-1998) is absolutely fucking ludicrous. I'm interested to know what you'd cite as classic modern black metal.

I disagree with it being more creative, personally. I believe the timeframe gave space for plenty of innovation to take place and many artists have used that to their advantage.

And by modern black metal, I am in no way referring to Dark Funeral, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon etc.

I myself love the second wave, though I believe that the scene is far more developed and better as such. It's just my personal opinion.

On the topic, what are some good early 90's black metal bands who are relatively obscure? I really need to explore this further.

This will be controversial, but I like what I've heard from the last couple Satyricon albums. I listen to it with the same mindset that I listen to the last couple Sodom albums, though, rather than how I'd listen to black metal; I'm looking for grooving riffs, semi-harsh vocals, and some catchy choruses, and they deliver that pretty well imo. On the other hand, the only old Satyricon I've heard is The Shadowthrone and I found that to be competent but horribly bland and unexciting.

Never understood the appeal of Satyricon, old or new. It just sounds second-rate, like the songs never live up to their potential. That applies mostly to the first three albums, since I don't really care much for the later style. To be honest though, if I were in the mood for some 'black 'n roll', as they say, I'd take Carpathian Forest over Satyricon any day.