Controversial opinions on metal

Nope. Not Nickelback. Not yet.
You know, proggy, folky stuff with rigid structure.
Are Nickelback good anyway? I've never listened to them.

I can't imagine much prog being very catchy.

I would go as far as to say that Nickelback are one of the worst bands in the history of music. :)

That's because weakling is lengendary (similar to why demilich/lykathea aflame is), Wolves is drawn out experimental black metal boredom.

And wildly popular for some reason or other.

As a rule I don't listen to music unless it's either catchy or profoundly beautiful. I'd venture to say that applies to everyone.

I never said that no black metal is catchy. I'm just saying that catchiness is not something you should be expecting out of the genre.

Also Nickelback are not very good. They're not the WORST EVER (I think Creed were worse) but they are the kind of band where it seems HIGHLY impossible that they could be someone's #1 favorite band. Plus all their albums have roads on the covers.

Intophagist is new, forgive him

Krampus; emperor is neither catchy nor profoundly beautiful. They are chaotic, epic, and suffocating in some instances to the point where the sheer density is overbearing.

who lets these people listen to metal? "its only good if its catchy!!!"

Breaking news, it's a free country as far as personal music tastes are concerned!

Xorv I find profound beauty and catchiness in many Emperor moments. Personal taste etc. Some people find the "epic, chaotic yet suffocating" atmosphere vastly appealing.

Well allow me to explain my theory of musical taste, I'll make it more simple.

The more you listen to something with a passion, the better you understand it.

Still not getting what you want to say. Is it that people who like terrible music will become passionate about it and realize that it is terrible?