Controversial opinions on metal

This page is decidedly smacktastic. Or at least, what has come to pass for smacktastic around here since Dodens has stopped posting.

What exactly is your justification for this claim? Did you intuit it or did you actually calculate the ratio of outstanding bands to bad bands in black metal compared with other genres? At any rate, your tendency would obviously be to underrate bands that are widely recognized as good black metal bands, so your view is not surprising.

I will admit to "intuiting" it, but for good reason. As mentioned below, there is a lack of required technical proficiency required to meet the lowest requirement, and I am not aware of any technically un-proficient black metal bands that manage to consistently bridge that gap with simplistic inspiration.

Are you talking about the actual number of shitty black metal bands or the ratio of shitty to good black metal bands? That's an important distinction to make. At any rate, it's to be expected that you're going to find lots of terrible black metal bands, since there are more black metal bands than bands of other metal genres with the exception of death metal (this is based merely on a cursory look at the numbers given on metal-archives, but I reckon it's a very good indicator). Obviously the amount of crappy bands is going to increase as the number of total bands increases. Also, it's easy to overrate the quality of bands in other genres simply because every other genre of metal, with the possible exception of funeral doom and death/doom, requires a higher level of technical proficiency as the bare minimum for passing muster. It creates the illusion that bands in other genres must in general be better than most black metal bands. But this does not tend to indicate anything about the quality of the songwriting or the quality of the albums of those bands.

I can't believe I'm still going on about this crap. I swear I'm done now...at least for tonight.

Discerning the patterns of interchangeable varieties of thought that led you to this conclusion is no easy task; you need to change your acquired taste and denounce everything Megadeth-like from here on out, for only then you'll have the passion to forgo understanding, let go of all boundaries and sink head first into the bubbling oblivion of the magic cauldron that will change your viewpoint on metal completely and unashamedly make you defy the laws of physics, reason and all 51 states by balancing a piano oozing with dog urine on your shoulder whilst traversing a mile-long laundry line that leads to the window of the White House and unequivocally demonstrate your utmost patriotism and love for the USA, and commit the heinous act of flattening a slightly random, but not totally overweight bystander with aforesaid piano, and finally, plunging suicidally into the shaking hands of your beloved action hero whilst he's in the middle of saving the president from a maliciously poisoned serving of breakfast cornflakes.

Hahaha, thats something. Megadeth has released like what? One descent album.

Discerning the patterns of interchangeable varieties of thought that led you to this conclusion is no easy task; you need to change your acquired taste and denounce everything Megadeth-like from here on out, for only then you'll have the passion to forgo understanding, let go of all boundaries and sink head first into the bubbling oblivion of the magic cauldron that will change your viewpoint on metal completely and unashamedly make you defy the laws of physics, reason and all 51 states by balancing a piano oozing with dog urine on your shoulder whilst traversing a mile-long laundry line that leads to the window of the White House and unequivocally demonstrate your utmost patriotism and love for the USA, and commit the heinous act of flattening a slightly random, but not totally overweight bystander with aforesaid piano, and finally, plunging suicidally into the shaking hands of your beloved action hero whilst he's in the middle of saving the president from a maliciously poisoned serving of breakfast cornflakes.

You're my favourite poster here :lol:

Thinking about it, Ive never heard anything by Cannabis Corpse. Isnt it just a Cannibal Corpse wannabe band thats playing death metal with drug/dope lyrics insted of brutal/gory?

When it comes to Cannibal Corpse I think they have made lots of good albums except from the last one.

Thinking about it, Ive never heard anything by Cannabis Corpse. Isnt it just a Cannibal Corpse wannabe band thats playing death metal with drug/dope lyrics insted of brutal/gory?

When it comes to Cannibal Corpse I think they have made lots of good albums except from the last one.

I'd say parody instead of wannabe, but yeah.

Newer Cannibal Corpse yes, Older Cannibal Corpse no.

I wouldn't argue against this.

And Six Feet Under is the definition of boring death metal.

Last edited by a moderator: