Controversial opinions on metal

I agree, but the number of shitty black metal bands is greater than most other genres. That might be just because I've heard more shitty black metal bands though.

I agree, but the number of shitty black metal bands is greater than most other genres. That might be just because I've heard more shitty black metal bands though.

I don't know. Power metal offers a plethora of very horrible bands.

Try A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

Some death metal riffs here and there.

If we're suggesting black metal for death metal fans, I'll throw out Aeternus's Beyond the Wandering Moon.

Yeah, but my opinion on power metal doesn't hold that much worth considering I tend not to like the genre as a whole, with the exception of the whole American, more traditional/epic scene. (Manilla Road and their worshipers if that counts as power metal)

To Eligos, if you're looking for mediocre black metal that doesn't really interest you all that much (I may get flamed for this) look no further than later-Borknagar, Chthonic, Crimson Moonlight, Kampfar, Sear Bliss, and Vesperian Sorrow.

You know, come to think of it, I can't remember the last okay black metal band I heard. It seems like they're either WTFOMGAMAZING or shitty as a fucking fuck.

Devathorn - Diadema
Sagaris - Raising The Oldest
Gosforth - Hornlust

All solid and moderately interesting, but 2-3 spins tops.

I find nothing interesting about Kampfar or Sear Bliss. Granted I haven't listened to either of the two in awhile, what should I take a second listen to?

I guess part of my point/opinion is black metal as a genre is extremely lacking in "greatest exponents" vs most other genres of metal.

What exactly is your justification for this claim? Did you intuit it or did you actually calculate the ratio of outstanding bands to bad bands in black metal compared with other genres? At any rate, your tendency would obviously be to underrate bands that are widely recognized as good black metal bands, so your view is not surprising.

Are you talking about the actual number of shitty black metal bands or the ratio of shitty to good black metal bands? That's an important distinction to make. At any rate, it's to be expected that you're going to find lots of terrible black metal bands, since there are more black metal bands than bands of other metal genres with the exception of death metal (this is based merely on a cursory look at the numbers given on metal-archives, but I reckon it's a very good indicator). Obviously the amount of crappy bands is going to increase as the number of total bands increases. Also, it's easy to overrate the quality of bands in other genres simply because every other genre of metal, with the possible exception of funeral doom and death/doom, requires a higher level of technical proficiency as the bare minimum for passing muster. It creates the illusion that bands in other genres must in general be better than most black metal bands. But this does not tend to indicate anything about the quality of the songwriting or the quality of the albums of those bands.

I can't believe I'm still going on about this crap. I swear I'm done now...at least for tonight.

Out of all of Bloodbath's albums, prefer the latest, The Fathomless Mastery.

There's a death penalty for uttering this in my circle of friends :)

I find nothing interesting about Kampfar or Sear Bliss. Granted I haven't listened to either of the two in awhile, what should I take a second listen to?

Sure! For Sear Bliss, I like The Haunting. Kampfar's best as raw/pagan black metal is Fra Underverdenen, but I prefer the viking/folk of Mellom Skogkledde Aaser.

Btw, do you like Arckanum? Kostogher is incredible.

About the latest 'okay' black metal bands/albums, Kampfar - Kvass and Heimang fits the description. 1349 as a whole too and Demonoir isn't an exception. Immortal's All Shall Fall was very meh and Darkthrone is making just passable albums since ages.

The only black metal that I'm bored to death by is the ultra-raw stuff. Granted, I do love early Darkthrone and Burzum, but for the most part, the repetitive waltz-style drum beat and buzzing, "treblely" guitars get on my nerves. Then there is the croaking vocals that are either totally devoid of effects or over-reverbed. BAH!