Controversial opinions on metal

-Extreme metal's riffs consist of going as fast as you can without sounding like an actual riff
-Extreme metal's drumming isn't even great or complex. If you know how to blastbeat, you're all set
-Most people can learn extreme vocals in a very short periods of time without even sounding good
-Ozzy isn't a good singer
-Cradle Of Filth is only lol-worthy
-Dio isn't the greatest vocalist by far
-Any genre with a core is rubbish

EDIT: I'll retract my flaming and grudgingly admit that you are far too clever for your own good you devious fuck.:mad::headbang:

I thought this thread included opinions what come from ourselves OR that were heard by other people.

True the title doesn't say "Your controversial opinions on metal".

It just doesn't make for good discussion to post opinions that you don't support though.

Here is one that doesn't involve Opeth or Metallica:

Unadulterated black metal (no symphonic/other elements, etc) as a genre is the lowest form of metal beforeanything with -core.

Symphonic Black Metal, Black/Folk, etc. Style mixing. Black Metal by itself as a genre is about as boring and low brow as it gets. Of course there are exceptions, but as a generalization this is true.

Symphonic Black Metal, Black/Folk, etc. Style mixing.

Black metal has always been a hybrid genre, you fool. What the hell is unadulterated black metal? Maybe you're thinking about generic black metal? Different concept.

Black Metal by itself as a genre is about as boring and low brow as it gets. Of course there are exceptions, but as a generalization this is true.

Or you just can't comprehend music that doesn't rely on pummeling you over the head with its aesthetic contrasts. And of course, music doesn't get much more highbrow than later Death, right? :rolleyes:

At any rate, a genre should be judged on the merits of its greatest exponents. Anything else makes no sense.

Black metal has always been a hybrid genre, you fool. What the hell is unadulterated black metal?
Maybe you're thinking about generic black metal? Different concept.

I am thinking of bands in the vein of Mayhem. There is very little difference imo between bands in this style that are generic and the ones that are perceived as "good", and either way, most of it is pretty yawn-worthy.

At any rate, a genre should be judged on the merits of its greatest exponents. Anything else makes no sense.

I guess part of my point/opinion is black metal as a genre is extremely lacking in "greatest exponents" vs most other genres of metal.

Does black metal have a shitload of terrible bands? Yes, and I'll admit it probably has more shit than other genres. But the point is, while death metal's mediocre bands are more listenable than black metal's mediocre ones, the greatest black metal is much deeper and more amazing than the best death metal.