Controversial opinions on metal

My personal favourite ballad ever!

Here's something controversial! The music contained within the split lp Stargazer/harbringer/H.A.S.T.UR.,contains some of the best music ever created,covered in centuries old filth,it covers so many spectrums within a very limited boundary :worship:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rephrased: On any given album the best song is not the ballad. Unless you count "Fade to Black" as a ballad, but it's tied with "Ride the Lightning" IMO

I don't understand this at all. Why does the ballad have to be the best song on the album to be good in your opinion? Why can't you just think it's a good song in and of itself?

I don't understand this at all. Why does the ballad have to be the best song on the album to be good in your opinion? Why can't you just think it's a good song in and of itself?

It doesn't have to be the best song on the album, but it's also almost never in the top 50th percentile either.

I don't know, I just don't like rock/metal ballads pretty much ever. Just like I hate slow synthpop songs.

ANTI-BALLAD SOLIDARITY FIST PUMPS

Alcest/Agalloch et al can do slow though, that's fine. One of my favorite songs period is "A Desolation Song."

I can't view Youtube at work but since I don't seek out metal ballads I'm sure there are plenty of good ones.

Finntroll sucks and so does Korpiklaani.

You're not my friend anymore.

sad.jpg

I know that I've posted my enjoyment of Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold in this thread before, but I've just discovered that I like some of Korn's stuff as well. Their first few albums are like the worst Green Jelly songs multiplied by a thousand degrees of rape, but listening to some of their early 200x stuff, it's not too bad. Jonathan Davis actually attempts to sing and the riffs, while simplistic and repetitive groove stuffs, at least sound like riffs and not faggy turntable-wannabe shit.

I'm starting to worry that one day I'll listen to Linkin Park and Evanescence and not immediately convulse. :lol:

I know that I've posted my enjoyment of Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold in this thread before, but I've just discovered that I like some of Korn's stuff as well. Their first few albums are like the worst Green Jelly songs multiplied by a thousand degrees of rape, but listening to some of their early 200x stuff, it's not too bad. Jonathan Davis actually attempts to sing and the riffs, while simplistic and repetitive groove stuffs, at least sound like riffs and not faggy turntable-wannabe shit.

I'm starting to worry that one day I'll listen to Linkin Park and Evanescence and not immediately convulse. :lol:

I like Korn too, some good songs here and there. My favorite in their catalogue is probably "Cameltosis" from "Follow the Leader," but I liked their Cameo cover of "Word Up" and that single "Thoughtless" too. Their most recent album(s?) is the worst thing I've ever heard in my life. I won it at a radio festival and broke the CD and threw it away it was so shitty. Not ONE decent song on the entire album.

Sorry SN but I can't do polka folk pop metal. Rhapsody and Blind Guardian are as cheesy as I will go, and even then I turn the volume down so the neighbors don't hear.