Controversial opinions on metal

Go listen to Camel - "Air Born" or "Another Night" or something....yea you're hopeless if you don't like that.

I would recommend listening to some Yes or Van Der Graaf Generator and instead of actively listening to what they're doing just chill until something grabs your attention. Most progressive metal wants you to listen to it closely, which I feel is it's greatest weakness because fuck that, I don't care about how fast you can weedly-weedly-weedly.

I think I'm with cookiecutter. I also don't get Pain of Salvation, except the song "Disco Queen" because it sounds like disco, the first music I ever fell in love with.

It's my belief that all music should be enjoyed on a visceral level and you should FEEL it versus analyzing it upon first listen. Not saying you shouldn't pick apart songs - because that can make them more enjoyable for sure, especially if you're a musician - but if you have to listen to something more than five times to try to force yourself to like it, you probably won't like it.

Pain of Salvation are really an incredible band who through their career have done pretty unique things no other prog. metal band has done.

Very good, shits on pretty much all so called prog metal

they're hardly a band that can be called unique for uniques sake

that goes to bands like unexpect and diablo swing orchestra

fantastic songwriter gildenlow is though lately he has been kind of lazy - i think it may be possible that he just burned himself out with BE

Actually, I take that back because I do understand how someone could I just greatly disagree with it.

I THINK what the problem comes down to is that PoS don't bring enough metal for the metal crowd but too much for the prog. rock crowd and as such really tend to not connect with a lot of either crowd

I actually like The Perfect Element I quite a lot, but the other albums I've heard (One Hour and Remedy Lane I haven't) just don't do much for me. Either too much preaching, too much Faith No More, or too much sappy ballad-y meh on the other albums.

Oh god. Pain of Salvation fucking blows, hard, Mort. We've been over this before. They're just way too fucking pretentious for their own good, which is what turns off a lot of people to them. Most other bands/artists I can agree with you on, but not this band. No spank you.

Ok, what's "good prog?"

Genesis (through Lamb Lies Down on Broadway) and Jethro Tull (through Broadsword).

I've never listened to Pain of Salvation, but I enjoy a lot of contemporary prog metal (Kalisia, Sieges Even, Scar Symmetry, all that sci-fi influenced well-produced crap ;) ). Personally, the pretentiousness doesn't bother me. You have to get past it and just smile at their ego in order to enjoy the music. It's the same with reading books like House of Leaves.