Controversial opinions on metal

It doesn't have to be the best song on the album, but it's also almost never in the top 50th percentile either.

I don't know, I just don't like rock/metal ballads pretty much ever. Just like I hate slow synthpop songs.

Fair enough.

I will say that I don't consider a song like Fade to Black a "ballad." It has ballad qualities, but in no way mirrors a song like Sacrificed Sons by Dream Theater. /imo

Dream Theater has alot of filler. Almost too much to sift through to find decent songs.

Nah, the filtration method is rather simple. First three albums and A Change of Seasons track 1 are placed reverently on the Good Stuff™ shelf, and track 2 through their newest are thrown into the filler can.

EDIT: Well, Status Seeker and The Silent Man can be tossed too, and a couple later songs are worth salvaging, but still.

When I need my prog. fix I just randomly put on a Dream Theater album. And I always seem to get satisfied. Still, agree on the filler thing.

They don't have filler, they just have shit songs. If you want filler go listen to a Tool album.

When Dream Theater actually attempt to write kickass songs, they do. When they start going overly melodic and decide they want to create some soft ballad it fucking drives me nuts.

I also hate it when they make a medley out of their own songs and rename it something else. Especially when they use shitty songs in the medley! wtf?!

Other than that, Dream Theater kicks ass.

Neither does Scenes as well, I take it? Beyond This Life is like Metallica's Fuel repeated twice with several minutes of guitar and keyboard masturbation, the sex sounds in Home exist only because Petrucci likes the idea of women moaning to his guitar playing, there's uninteresting story line crap littered throughout (see: half of Finally Free).

Or Six Degrees, fuck, that's their most bloated one yet. srsly, they (along with Iron Maiden) define filler and song padding.

I don't like prog in general and I'm no DT expert, but I haven't heard one song that was "interesting" yet. It's not pretty, it's not catchy, what is it?

You're welcome to try and change my mind.

Neither does Scenes as well, I take it? Beyond This Life is like Metallica's Fuel repeated twice with several minutes of guitar and keyboard masturbation, the sex sounds in Home exist only because Petrucci likes the idea of women moaning to his guitar playing, there's uninteresting story line crap littered throughout (see: half of Finally Free).

Or Six Degrees, fuck, that's their most bloated one yet. srsly, they (along with Iron Maiden) define filler and song padding.

I really don't care what you think. I like DT so that's all that matters to me.

I don't like prog in general and I'm no DT expert, but I haven't heard one song that was "interesting" yet. It's not pretty, it's not catchy, what is it?

You're welcome to try and change my mind.

You don't like DT because you don't like prog and you probably never will. I'd rather not waste my time feeding you songs to listen to when I already know you won't like it.

It's all good though, DT and prog in general isn't for everyone.