Controversial opinions on metal

That's because early Motley Crue, Skid Row, WASP, and probably some of the others you mentioned are about as glam as 80's Priest.

I'm not sure if I'd go that far. Maybe some of their poppier songs can be likened to glam.

Shout at the Devil, in particular, is a pretty damn heavy album. I don't really like anything else they did after that album, though.

Not sure how controversial this is: Keeper of the Seven Keys pt 1 is pretty shit. There are a few good riffs and some amazing leads but overall the songs are weak and frequently not even really metal, and the overall feel of the album is way too fucking happy. It's definitely the happiest metal album I've ever heard, more so than even the faggiest Euro-power.

Faggier than Freedom Call?

And I agree, not a huge fan of that album.

Too Fast For Love is an absolutely fantastic album. Shout At The Devil is also damn good. Theatre of Pain, Girls Girls Girls, and Dr. Feelgood are decidedly lesser albums, but all have some great songs. Under Lock And Key by Dokken is also an extremely consistent, catchy, and enjoyable album. Cinderella are pretty colossally shit. That's all I know about glam.

Not sure how controversial this is: Keeper of the Seven Keys pt 1 is pretty shit. There are a few good riffs and some amazing leads but overall the songs are weak and frequently not even really metal, and the overall feel of the album is way too fucking happy. It's definitely the happiest metal album I've ever heard, more so than even the faggiest Euro-power.

The problem with Keeper of the Seven Keys (both albums, especially the second, but we're speaking of the first one right now) is the inconsistency in the songwriting, reflected in the "too many chefs" mode of songwriting. Consider that the two weakest songs ("A Little Time" and "A Tale that Wasn't Right") were written by Kiske and Weikath respectively, the rest being written by Kai Hansen. Admittedly "Future World" isn't all that great either. But Most of Hansen's songs on the Keepers albums are excellent and on par with the Walls of Jericho songs, just played in a lighter and more commercial style. "I'm Alive", "Twilight of the Gods", and especially "Halloween" are all excellent songs, the last of which being the quintessential "Euro" Power Metal song as far as I'm concerned. Even if you look at part 2, the two songs that Hansen wrote, "I Want Out" and "March of Time" are once again pretty much the highlights of the album.

Plus this is a cool album cover:

678.jpg

Future World is one of the more amusing songs. I don't really take those albums seriously anyway. I still enjoy them though.

It's just way too goofy to be credible as a metal album. The giggling in Future World, Charlie Brown references...metal should take itself seriously. Once my friend played an a-ha record for me and KotSK makes me feel like they were trying to move in that direction.

I think the drumming on KOTSK is atrocious. Much like the drums on Conquerors of Armageddon by Krisiun, it's just one continuous unchanging drumbeat throughout. I can't say I hate that album, but the standard 3/4 double-kick beat wears on my nerves quickly. Hardly any fills, no tempo changes, and the over-ringing tone of the snare rub me the wrong way.

I don't know if I'd say this is controversial but I just cannot get into anything Cryptopsy has released. Extremely boring band.

It took me a couple years to get into None So Vile, but I definitely like it now. Not enough to check out their other albums, though.

It took me a couple years to get into None So Vile, but I definitely like it now. Not enough to check out their other albums, though.

I'm pretty much the same way. I really dig None So Vile (vocals aside that is) but I've never had much interest in hearing their other stuff.

Too Fast For Love is an absolutely fantastic album. Shout At The Devil is also damn good. Theatre of Pain, Girls Girls Girls, and Dr. Feelgood are decidedly lesser albums, but all have some great songs.

I'm pretty much with you here though I place Shout above Too Fast.

That is absolutely fucking retarded.

The first three songs are great, but after that the drop in quality is inexcusable.

I don't know. I like other "nature black metal" bands like Negura Bunget and Vordven and Dornenreich a lot. Drudkh seem pretty drone-y. Again I only have AA (it was recommended to me as their best). Maybe I just like more open space in my nbm.

It only took me 10 seconds from listening to the song "Graves of the Fathers" from that album to get into None So Vile.