Controversial opinions on metal

Early 80's black metal is heavy or thrash metal. Early 90's black metal (which is what the sub-genre is now best known for) deviates a fuckton further than mid-tempo and down-tuned thrash (aka "groove metal") does.

I don't see how 90's black metal 'deviates' from metal at all. It has its own distincitve characteristics to be sure but so does each sub-genre.

Norwegian black metal truly came into its own as a unique genre with the releases of Burzum, Under A Funeral Moon, and Pure Holocaust. Both of the latter ones have bridges to the trash roots of black metal. UAFM has A Blaze In The Northern Sky, with its heavy Celtic Frost influences, and PH has the Bathory worship of Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism. However, both those albums also lightly tapped the door to some ideas that clearly distinguished them from almost any material ever released in the 80s. When the time came for Darkthrone and Immortal to release their second albums, they completely opened the door to those ideas and perfected them, shaving away everything else. I'd say that there was a natural progression even from the early 80s to the early 90s.

I realize that there's a hole here, and that it is Burzum, which doesn't have a "bridge-album", but was rather an example of full fledged Norwegian black metal done on the first try.

As for Mayhem, well I doubt anyone can argue that there's not a natural 80s-90s progression there.

Groove metal is a derivative of thrash, wtf. You fuckers need to listen to CFH again. The Art Of Shredding, Cowboys From Hell, Heresy...clearly fucking thrash. Yes, they have a groovy style, but it's definitely thrash. What is wrong with you people?

Groove metal is a derivative of thrash, wtf. You fuckers need to listen to CFH again. The Art Of Shredding, Cowboys From Hell, Heresy...clearly fucking thrash. Yes, they have a groovy style, but it's definitely thrash. What is wrong with you people?

Sorry, you're wrong. It may vaguely resemble some of thrash's minor aesthetics on occasion, but the tough-guy lyrics and modern production values clearly file it under an entirely different genre. Some kind of negro metal like Meshuggah, or something. You know, jumpdafuckup. Yeah.

Keyword, "derivative".
Just saying.

So in what ways did Pantera deviate from thrash metal so drastically to make them worthy of their own little "groove metal" sub-genre? I mean, it's a fuckton closer to thrash than melodic death metal is to death metal, or drone/doom is to traditional doom metal. I can understand using the term groove as a sub-set of thrash just for distinguishing purposes when lumping bands together, but treating it as a massively perverse spin-off is silly.

It's similar, but different enough to have its own genre. For one the riffs are obviously more groove based, and rarely very "thrashy". And you rarely hear thrash drum patterns.

Are you fucking kidding? Half the album is that kick-snare thrash beat. It has a production atypical of thrash and some sections atypical of thrash, but it's definitely goddamn thrash.

Would you assholes shut the fuck up about Pantera?

Is this love? You seem rather fucking hostile. There's really no need for such a vulgar display of powerful aggression. It's as if you're driven by demons or something. Most regular people wouldn't act that way. You should rise above this behaviour to a new level. Attack some radicals or something.

Is this love? You seem rather fucking hostile. There's really no need for such a vulgar display of powerful aggression. It's as if you're driven by demons or something. Most regular people wouldn't act that way. You should rise above this behaviour to a new level. Attack some radicals or something.

You're only a heartbeat away from being my latest lover.

If you think it's not thrash you've got another thing coming. I'm never satisfied with run of the mill genres like groove metal, but Pantera throw down a savage raw deal that takes on the world and delivers the goods. They may not be metal gods, but they throw down some rapid fire thrashing and bring the rage. So you can eat me alive, because some heads are gonna roll if deceivers try to leave them out in the cold.

If you think it's not thrash you've got another thing coming. I'm never satisfied with run of the mill genres like groove metal, but Pantera throw down a savage raw deal that takes on the world and delivers the goods. They may not be metal gods, but they throw down some rapid fire thrashing and bring the rage. So you can eat me alive, because some heads are gonna roll if deceivers try to leave them out in the cold.

You must be Criminally insane. While I do agree they're quite the Metal Storm, if you say they are thrash I will have you Cast Down to spend Seasons in the Abyss. That being said haters can go Die By The Sword in a Public Display of Dismemberment and their corpses raped by a Necrophiliac and left to die in the Crypts of Eternity.

Who are you to say cut the Pantera talk? I would say don't start, but it's too late. You come in here and give us a bit of finger, well I'll be there to go in for the kill, you digital bitch. You'll be falling off the edge of the world. Go ahead, take me on, you're born to lose.