Controversial opinions on metal

I really value the opinions here though, since, for the most part, this site is not hardcore friendly. I'm able to get insight from beyond my touring hardcore band and circle of friends' opinions. Most of what I listen to is either instrumental:

Russian Circles
Mogwai
This Will Destroy you

or hardcore:

Converge
Botch
Norma Jean
ETID
The Chariot
Underoath
Sikth
Periphery
Trash Talk
--I'm using the term hardcore loosly of course--

or Radiohead/Deftones and the like. Before reading here, quote "metal" I enjoyed was limited to Mastodon, Metallica, Tool, In Flames and a few other more popular bands. Now that I've been around for a while, I've come to really love Katatonia, Opeth, the new Behemoth album, a variety of deathcore stuff, which I know is also looked down on, Gojira, Morbid Angel, etc. So despite how narrow minded it can be here, that's what I'm here for.

My apologies. I meant only in comparison to the general public, which is obvious, considering it's purpose.

I wasn't initially but I got the idea eventually. So now I just don't give a damn. I love, for instance, Converge equally as much as Opeth. And if that will get me flamed, so be it. I still enjoy the banter and learning from those more experienced in the metal community.