Controversial opinions on metal

Pig squeals > the old Arch Enemy singer

Liiva is terrible but I would take his performance on Burning Bridges over pretty much any slam vocalist with respect to fitting in and complementing the music. Black Earth was pretty inexcusable, though.

What a load of rubbish, death metal vocals vary quite a lot and are just as much an expressive part of the music as clean vocals. And this hasn't changed at all in the evolution of more extreme forms of metal over the years. I've never considered them 'shock value', simply an appropriate accompaniment to the low-tone and dark sounding music in the background. Chuck Shuldiner was a great vocalist, but there are plenty of full on growlers that inject plenty of power and delivery into their vocals. David Vincent? Frank Mullen? To name a couple of obvious ones.

I will say though, that 'slam' death metal vocals are just awful, I can't stand them. Shame because the music is often quite good.

Death metal style vocals can't express as wide a variety of emotions as clean vocals. Good point that they aren't necessarily a shock value thing. I exaggerated certain points to try and get a response like this, that detailed reasons my argument might be flawed. To the people who just go "psh, nonsense", you're adding nothing. This is a thread to air and discuss, not suppress and ridicule (something I've been guilty of a billion times before on internet forums).

Vincent and Mullen belong to an earlier time when the style was still forming itself. Now we have a million growlers who have no personality. The best, Schuldiner Vincent Mullen etc you can tell on record when it's them. I think a lot of bands now have singers who don't dare, or can't, sing melodies over heavy music. It's a shame, as some of those bands would be better if they took the risk.

Death metal style vocals can't express as wide a variety of emotions as clean vocals.

What sort of range of emotions are you hoping to hear in the vocals over death metal?

Vincent and Mullen belong to an earlier time when the style was still forming itself. Now we have a million growlers who have no personality.

Not that I necessarily agree with you, but you could say the same thing about clean singers as well, or guitarists, or drummers etc. We could all sit around all day throwing blanket generalisations at styles of music we don't like, or elements thereof.

The best, Schuldiner Vincent Mullen etc you can tell on record when it's them. I think a lot of bands now have singers who don't dare, or can't, sing melodies over heavy music. It's a shame, as some of those bands would be better if they took the risk.

I think a lot of bands find the best growler they can if they want to play death metal, because growled/screamed vocals are one of the defining characteristics in the genre. If you want to hear clean vocals over death metal you should probably go and listen to another style of metal instead.

It's almost like the bands he mentioned with "distinctive" growlers have already had a lot of time to be considered classics, yet he's comparing them to modern bands with growlers, setting up a false dichotomy that states that modern death metal bands just don't have "distinction" in the death vocals because if he listens to them he can't tell which vocalist it is.

So basically that's just patently illogical bullshit; no wonder you feel that way...those albums you're referring to as vocally-indistinct haven't even had the chance to stand the test of time or be appreciated as "classics" yet so obviously not as many people are going to consider them as classic as Morbid Angel, Suffocation, etc. because that would just be ridiculous.

The songs are better with him but the singing is better with her

They've done an album in which they've re-recorded older material with Gossow.

It's lame tbh. And this comes from a guy who used to worship the Amott brothers as a kid. Incredibly sterile sounding and something along the lines of Melodic Deathpop. Diva Satanica sung by Gossow is plain wrong. Though in general I agree that Gossow is miles ahead of Liiva.

What sort of range of emotions are you hoping to hear in the vocals over death metal?

Not that I necessarily agree with you, but you could say the same thing about clean singers as well, or guitarists, or drummers etc. We could all sit around all day throwing blanket generalisations at styles of music we don't like, or elements thereof.

I think a lot of bands find the best growler they can if they want to play death metal, because growled/screamed vocals are one of the defining characteristics in the genre. If you want to hear clean vocals over death metal you should probably go and listen to another style of metal instead.

I like death metal, I'm not a hardcore fanatic but I have plenty in my record collection. I appreciate the point you're making about emotions in death metal. I suppose I should really think of all vocals as being on a sliding scale of aggression rather than lumping many in together.

V.V.V.V. my point isn't really that there aren't any classic new vocalists, there are some great ones; I have a special continuing sadness for the inability of Covan to return to Decapitated, for instance. Perhaps it's this- that the style, the sound, of death vocals, has moved into a territory where the quality of the delivery is so high, in terms of production of the sound, that the rough edges have been lost. Vincent or Schuldiner, to go back to the superstar examples, still sound like people, a lot of the new guys don't, and I wish there were more death vocalists who possessed the "impurities" or "traits" in their tone that marked them out. I can certainly tell when I hear a vocalist I consider "distinctive", even if I have never heard him/her or their band before. I'm fully aware that a lot of the bands from the early 90s have fallen away from us with time, whereas I can hear everything that's going on now, which gives a false sense of present homogeneity vs past distinctiveness.

In essence satanstoenail this addresses your point about guitarists as well. I like Zappa but i don't really care for Vai. As examples of ways you can approach your instrument instrument, I think I feel the same way about death metal vocal delivery- I like the rough edges of Zappa more than the perfection of Vai, though I'll dabble in both.

Alright, I get what you're saying a little more now. So, in essence, you believe that, because more vocalists are getting better vocal production, you can hear less of their "personality", and therefore they are not as memorable sounding? I suppose I can see that, but it of course has a lot to do with how much stock you put into even trying to find interesting death vocalists in this day and age.

You used Covan of Decapitated as an example; I have heard Covan's vocals on Decapitated's albums with him, and he sounds fucking boring to me, exactly like you think most modern DM vocalists are impersonal sounding. So, it's definitely subjective (should be obvious), but here are some vocalists I consider to be really memorable in modern death metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to the "non-stand out" vocalists thing the band is awful, but their vocalist is fucking great

Last edited by a moderator:
Chalky has to be one of my favourite vocalists in metal. His style is wacky, perfectly syncopated to the guitars and it fit their first 2 albums so well. Those are the only 2 Psycroptic albums I'll ever listen to, and it's not just because of Chalky. I even find both the Haley's playing on the last 2 very uninspired.