Controversial opinions on metal

Not sure how STN is being a smart-ass when he wrote a friendly tip with a humorous touch?

Death metal vocals have become a recognised form of vocal to the point that they have lost their shock value and instead come across as a one note defensive tactic that means the singer doesn't have to come up with a melody or give something of themselves and their vulnerability to a performance. They are an ungenerous thing for the most part, and the proper barfers have none of the passion or emotion of the kind Chuck Schuldiner could express.

costanzaPopcorn.gif

What a load of rubbish, death metal vocals vary quite a lot and are just as much an expressive part of the music as clean vocals. And this hasn't changed at all in the evolution of more extreme forms of metal over the years. I've never considered them 'shock value', simply an appropriate accompaniment to the low-tone and dark sounding music in the background. Chuck Shuldiner was a great vocalist, but there are plenty of full on growlers that inject plenty of power and delivery into their vocals. David Vincent? Frank Mullen? To name a couple of obvious ones.

I will say though, that 'slam' death metal vocals are just awful, I can't stand them. Shame because the music is often quite good.

Death metal vocals have become a recognised form of vocal to the point that they have lost their shock value and instead come across as a one note defensive tactic that means the singer doesn't have to come up with a melody or give something of themselves and their vulnerability to a performance. They are an ungenerous thing for the most part, and the proper barfers have none of the passion or emotion of the kind Chuck Schuldiner could express.

Uh oh, not one of these people. This has to be the worst opinion about death metal that I've ever read on the internet.

YOU'RE A MASTER OF KARATE AND FRIENDSHIP FOR EVERYONE!

I find gargly slam vocals to be less "brutal," "sick," "evil," or "necroblasphemicly vomit-inducing" than decent gutteral growls like Mullen. Not really controversial, I guess.

Painkiller as an album is fairly bland and unimpressive. Leather Rebel is by far the best song on it. Halford's vocals on that album do not use his voice to it's best effect.

Fiction is the best Dark Tranquillity album that isn't The Gallery, and Projector is the worst.

Not much slam actually uses bree's anymore. Only recent album I can think of is Human Rejection's debut.

I find the vocals of Wayne Knupp or Matti Way to be much more "brutal" then Mullen, but thats just me.