Controversial opinions on metal

Death Magnetic was certainly better than anything since Black album though, agreed? So I'd say newer Metallica > newer Maiden. And Endgame was a step up as well.

Really? Id rate both Loads over death magnetic easily even if they have a few to mny fillers. Death Magnetic sounds half-done, lack flow, has even worse drumming than before and the production is horrible. To be fair it is better than the horrible St Anger.

Can't agree, I must say. Save King Nothing, I find everything on DM more interesting. And SA isn't nearly as bad as everyone likes to make it out to be. DM does lack flow to some degree, but most of their stuff does for me, and the way it was mastered is a crime against humanity, but there are pre-mastered versions of it on the net.

Lars in general is awful, but yes, he certainly has not gotten better with age.

Saint Anger was pure trash. Death Magnetic had its moments, but overall it was pretty fail too. Load and Reload were great albums if you took them out of the context of metal and just enjoy them for what they are.

To be fair, it's been I long time since I heard either, and my SA defense comes from seeing the movie recently. I'll have to go back and listen again.

Go figure another Metallica argument in this thread. For what it's worth, I like every Metallica album for what it is, as opposed to judging them all by the thrash/metal standard. Load/Reload are very under-appreciated.

Moving on: Pierced From Within is clearly head and shoulders over every other Suffocation album.

I tend to hold the first two Suffo albums in equal regard. However, if EotF had the same production and PfW, it would clearly be superior.

Whoops, I meant Effigy and Pierced are on equal footing. I got into Suffo through cookiecutter and had the impression those were the first two albums.

Yes, "The Coffin Ships." It's probably my second or third favorite Primordial song.
I've always thought 'Gods to the Godless' is the best Primordial song. 'The Coffin Ships' is great too though, the title track from that album MAY be better, not sure really it is a close call.