Controversial opinions on metal

Alright, I get what you're saying a little more now. So, in essence, you believe that, because more vocalists are getting better vocal production, you can hear less of their "personality", and therefore they are not as memorable sounding? I suppose I can see that, but it of course has a lot to do with how much stock you put into even trying to find interesting death vocalists in this day and age.

You used Covan of Decapitated as an example; I have heard Covan's vocals on Decapitated's albums with him, and he sounds fucking boring to me, exactly like you think most modern DM vocalists are impersonal sounding. So, it's definitely subjective (should be obvious), but here are some vocalists I consider to be really memorable in modern death metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI2oPKDuX1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpHQdd1GY9I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XlnLMjZRlo

very excited to listen to this lot tomorrow after work. as for covan i've probably been swayed by his phenomenal stage presence.

Angela Gossow is so overrated just because she's a girl who growls/

She's not a girl, she's a woman or a fucking terrifying Valkyrie thing.

She's also one of the only successful female growlers in history and doesn't rely on sex appeal and slutty photoshoots to win points, which whether you like it or not is respectable.

I respect her as much as any other death metal vocalist in terms of credibility as a musician, but she's not particularly good at vocals. Also, she doesn't growl, she rasps.

Mary Abaza growls:

As far as bland melodic death metal with moderately attractive female raspers goes, Shadow top current Arch Enemy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I wasn't trying to say she was the best out there because she's obviously not. Shit one of the local death metal acts in Fukuoka has a better chick rasper/growler.

She's also one of the only successful female growlers in history and doesn't rely on sex appeal and slutty photoshoots to win points, which whether you like it or not is respectable.

Gossow-Revolver-2006.jpg

Just sayin...

Is it wrong that I can't seem to enjoy any female-fronted bands?

Its always either gay goth metal or cheesy melodeath with bad growls.

ASD i bet you'd like Be Persecuted. they are BLEAK AS FUCK Chinese BM. Zhao sounds female (screeching/rasping, Varg-like) but the music is in no way gimmicky and it's pretty "depressive"

I also feel that way about most female fronted metal bands, but then again there are probably loads of great ones I haven't heard of because Lacuna Coil and Arch Enemy are hogging the spotlight

edit: @ Saparmurat ok never mind

Gallhammer!! I've been meaning to ask you Krampus about your opinions on a few excellent Japanese metal bands,namely,Metalucifer,Barbatos and Sabbat,are you a fan of these bands? I personally love Barbatos(the best beer drinking band around these days imo) and Sabbat.

ASD i bet you'd like Be Persecuted. they are BLEAK AS FUCK Chinese BM. Zhao sounds female (screeching/rasping, Varg-like) but the music is in no way gimmicky and it's pretty "depressive"

See I was never one for the uber depressive bm stuff. Stuff like Xasthur or Elysian Blaze is bleak to the point that it provokes no emotional response from me, not even "aw thats a sad riff" or anything. Maybe the whole bleak nothingness is the idea, but I find it bland.

See I was never one for the uber depressive bm stuff. Stuff like Xasthur or Elysian Blaze is bleak to the point that it provokes no emotional response from me, not even "aw thats a sad riff" or anything. Maybe the whole bleak nothingness is the idea, but I find it bland.

hm yeah. there are a couple songs that provoke feelings because of touches of warmth or hope mixed in with the bleakness. this one is my favorite. still maybe not your thing though. they're certainly not for casual listening/BGM

Last edited by a moderator: