Controversial opinions on metal

Most progressive metal is shit, however progressive rock is some of the greatest music in the past 50 years.

yeah... i've never really enjoyed progressive metal... just metal bands that incorporate progressive elements.
progressive classic rock on the other hand i certainly enjoy.

I've never really seen ObscureInfinity act "pretentious". If adhering to the strict code of non-poseurdom is pretentious to you, you should probably just get the fuck out instead of complain about it.

It figures all the posters in your little circle would take was I said seriously.

In all honesty, it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. And truth be told, you all act just a wee bit pretentious every now and then; but that's cool, I'm okay with it. :cool:

One more thing, 70s progressive rock had a pretty decent sized influence on metal(not talking about influencing shit like Opeth either)

One more thing, 70s progressive rock had a pretty decent sized influence on metal(not talking about influencing shit like Opeth either)

Lukewarm qualifiers like "pretty decent sized influence" have no place in this thread. Superlatives or GTFO.

wrong. he's probably one of the worst metal vocalists ive ever heard in my entire life. his voice is weak, cracky and at times down right repulsive.

I think Dani Filth is an incredible writer, poet, and lyricist. As a Cradle of Filth fan, I'd hesitate to say he's got much for vocal talent but I like the fact that he's got a unique voice easily distinguishable from hundreds and hundreds of vocalists who sound no different from each other. I must say I love his performance on their debut album when his vocals were just downright primitive and ugly. Definitely beats the shrieks and squeals he's got going these days.

I think Dani Filth is an incredible writer, poet, and lyricist. As a Cradle of Filth fan, I'd hesitate to say he's got much for vocal talent but I like the fact that he's got a unique voice easily distinguishable from hundreds and hundreds of vocalists who sound no different from each other. I must say I love his performance on their debut album when his vocals were just downright primitive and ugly. Definitely beats the shrieks and squeals he's got going these days.

This. I do wish he could match the poetic awesomeness of CoF concepts and lyrics with vocal skill and grace but we can't have everything, and sometimes it works.

It doesn't count to say he has an amazing range considering he can't reproduce studio vocal tracks live at all, sadly.

Most bands labelled Progressive Metal aren't even progressive. Someone please explain what's so prog about Dream Theater.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

^ Blistering barnacles! Thundering typhoons!

This. I do wish he could match the poetic awesomeness of CoF concepts and lyrics with vocal skill and grace but we can't have everything, and sometimes it works.

It doesn't count to say he has an amazing range considering he can't reproduce studio vocal tracks live at all, sadly.

Honestly, as I say Dani isn't too talented as a vocalist I really don't have any problem with any of his vocals from Principle to Nymphetamine. I actually like them but maybe that's because I became accustomed to his vocal style quite early on as CoF was the first metal band I got into. But with Thornography, he introduced a new style of vocals that made him sound more like a child. Thankfully, there was less of that on their last album.

And I have to agree with you about Dani's live performances. He's quite awful live. They are (were) one of my favourite bands but I'm not sure I'd pay to see them live.

If that was about my post, I just have to say it. Progressive Metal makes it sound like the music will progress somewhat, whereas bands like Dream Theater/Opeth haven't progressed their sound in years. :p

Idiot

Progressive metal progresses WITHIN ITSELF, for example tempo changes, key changes, etc

-facepalm-

But even then it really doesn't progress anywhere in it's own sound. Opeth for instance just plays the same shitty riff over and over again, with a slight change in it, or a slight change in the drumming backing it. That's not progression. Dream Theater's sound doesn't progress anywhere either. It's always the same.