Controversial opinions on metal

Progressive metal would be metal were the band members were subject to positive discrimination when the band was formed. The music videos would feature interracial couples kissing and gay people holding hands. The album covers would be perhaps similar to this

Magnum_-_Vigilante.jpg

but with rainbows and elmo.

Honestly, as I say Dani isn't too talented as a vocalist I really don't have any problem with any of his vocals from Principle to Nymphetamine. I actually like them but maybe that's because I became accustomed to his vocal style quite early on as CoF was the first metal band I got into. But with Thornography, he introduced a new style of vocals that made him sound more like a child. Thankfully, there was less of that on their last album.

And I have to agree with you about Dani's live performances. He's quite awful live. They are (were) one of my favourite bands but I'm not sure I'd pay to see them live.

He lacks stage presence too (or at least did in NYC in 2007). Just ran around yelling "MAKE SOME FUCKING NOOOOOOISE!" I haven't heard the "Thornography" album but I can only imagine what sort of throat abortion he came up with.

But even then it really doesn't progress anywhere in it's own sound. Opeth for instance just plays the same shitty riff over and over again, with a slight change in it, or a slight change in the drumming backing it. That's not progression. Dream Theater's sound doesn't progress anywhere either. It's always the same.

I realize you've never actually listened to Opeth and Dream Theatre because you are naturally inclined to hate their music, but you shouldn't make broad generalizations and assumptions about things that you have no clue about.

Idiot

Progressive metal progresses WITHIN ITSELF, for example tempo changes, key changes, etc

-facepalm-

True prog should be interdisciplinary (i.e. it should incorporate trans-genre elements).

Jethro Tull incorporated folk and blues into rock.

Genesis incorporated classical elements.

Pink Floyd incorporated blues with soundscape/psychedelic elements.

One of my favorite prog metal albums is Kalisia's Cybion.

True prog should be interdisciplinary (i.e. it should incorporate trans-genre elements).

Jethro Tull incorporated folk and blues into rock.

Genesis incorporated classical elements.

Pink Floyd incorporated blues with soundscape/psychedelic elements.

One of my favorite prog metal albums is Kalisia's Cybion.
I agree with this, and I haven't seen too many people praising Kalisia. ^^ Great band.

He lacks stage presence too (or at least did in NYC in 2007). Just ran around yelling "MAKE SOME FUCKING NOOOOOOISE!" I haven't heard the "Thornography" album but I can only imagine what sort of throat abortion he came up with.

lol.

On Thornography he basically just sounds like a child. I don't think it's that different from his live performances in recent years.

But just picture Dani Filth with Mickey Mouse ears because it's got a very Walt Disney feel to it. The entire albums seems to be structured around catchiness. And the (over)production is awful too, better suited for a pop/rock album. Then again, you can almost argue that this one is!

I seriously need to listen to more classic Genesis. I love The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

I'd recommend Selling England By the Pound. You will not be disappointed.

I agree with this, and I haven't seen too many people praising Kalisia. ^^ Great band.

:headbang:

I always thought that was Avant-Garde?
I dont even know.

I'd agree that it's a tenet of avant-garde music, but I don't really consider "avant-garde" a specific genre, per se. "Avant-garde" is just usually tacked onto a genre as a modifier, but it does often signify some kind of trans-genre aesthetic.

There's an album called Vemod by a band named Anekdoten that is really reminiscent of King Crimson. That one and the next one, Nucleus, both are. Later Anekdoten is less technical and more straight forward, but also more obscure, dark and brooding. Anekdoten is one of the best prog rock bands of all time.

lol.

On Thornography he basically just sounds like a child. I don't think it's that different from his live performances in recent years.

But just picture Dani Filth with Mickey Mouse ears because it's got a very Walt Disney feel to it. The entire albums seems to be structured around catchiness. And the (over)production is awful too, better suited for a pop/rock album. Then again, you can almost argue that this one is!

Ew. "Nymphetamine" was about as poppy as I can handle. He should just collaborate with the fucking Dresden Dolls and be done with it!

Ew. "Nymphetamine" was about as poppy as I can handle. He should just collaborate with the fucking Dresden Dolls and be done with it!

Nymphetamine wasn't bad, a bit dull for a Cradle of Filth album though. I assume by "poppy" you are referring to the title track with Liv, in particular? Interesting that you mention the Dresden Dolls...

Here is quote from an old interview regarding the title track and Liv:
Loudside: How did you guys hook up with her for the song?

Dani: Well originally it was Christina from Lacuna Coil who was going to do it but her schedule got in the way. So, she literally cancelled four days before she was due to fly over to the studio. Then we went through a list of replacements that included people like a girl from this Roadrunner band called Dresden Dolls, Lennon, and Tori Amos was even in the running. But there was a demo that arrived from I think a friend of someone that works at Roadrunner Europe who produced the demo for Liv. I listened to it and I was like Fucking ay, this is brilliant!

Still they managed to get Ville Vallo to make an appearance on Thornography...lol.

Opeth shouldn't have added keyboards to their sound, they make the music sound dated and the keyboard patches' sweeping sounds denie them the intricate and fleeting harmonies that made some of their riffs so special.