Controversial opinions on metal

Galloping through the Battle Ruins is excellent but also check Incorrigible Bigotry. The riffage is too damn awesome to be ignored. If you like some epicness in your death metal, you might also like Hornets of the Pogrom.

Their albums are all great, really. Even their split with Martial Barrage is worth checking.

Hey guys, quick word with you all. Melodeath not only IS the same style of music as melodic death, all melodeath is is a truncation of the term melodic death. You can try to create this retrospective deal where melodeath refers to something else but that's the most asinine, peurile form of genre snobbery and is fucking retarded to boot. Melodeath and melodic death are not different forms of music. They are the same thing and in fact they are the same term.

BTW, Intestine Baalism's generic brutal vocals ruin the entire band.

Shut the fuck up you faggot. Yes, it is literally a truncation of the term 'melodic death metal'. But the term 'melodeath' is widely used informally to refer to music erroneously classified as death metal. Obviously melodic metal must also be death metal in order for it to be melodic death metal. Get the fucking anal retentive bug out of your ass already. Or better yet, go back into hibernation like you always do after a couple weeks of posting.

Hey guys, quick word with you all. Melodeath not only IS the same style of music as melodic death, all melodeath is is a truncation of the term melodic death. You can try to create this retrospective deal where melodeath refers to something else but that's the most asinine, peurile form of genre snobbery and is fucking retarded to boot. Melodeath and melodic death are not different forms of music. They are the same thing and in fact they are the same term.

BTW, Intestine Baalism's generic brutal vocals ruin the entire band.

What the fuck are you talking about? What could melo-death possibly mean other than melodic death metal?

Shut the fuck up you faggot. Yes, it is literally a truncation of the term 'melodic death metal'. But the term 'melodeath' is widely used informally to refer to music erroneously classified as death metal. Obviously melodic metal must also be death metal in order for it to be melodic death metal. Get the fucking anal retentive bug out of your ass already. Or better yet, go back into hibernation like you always do after a couple weeks of posting.

No, this community might have some insular idea that melodeath refers to something other than the typical melodic death style but that's not widespread at all. Melodeath is widely used as a shortening of melodic death, period.

No, this community might have some insular idea that melodeath refers to something other than the typical melodic death style but that's not widespread at all. Melodeath is widely used as a shortening of melodic death, period.

Any time a response starts off with calling you a "faggot" it means you can just ignore their dumbass opinion. You're correct about melodeath, that dude's an idiot.

It's a pretty obvious fallacy that ad hominems negate an entire argument, and you're clearly a stupid fucking faggot for thinking otherwise.

Whether or not you are aware of the widespread usage of the phrase 'melodeath' as a shorthand for bands that are wrongly classified as death metal (Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Northern, Kalmah, most of In Flames' material and all of the bands it influenced), it has been in usage for many years. It is informal, but it exists, and it is useful. On this forum in particular, it has been widely discussed and agreed upon as a shorthand, and regulars are familiar with its usage as an understanding of separating Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum from Eucharist and Unanimated. That's all it is, and to make a big deal about it is absurd.

Edit: By way of comparison, it is the equivalent of distinguishing traditional American power metal from later melodic/progressive European power metal with the term 'flower metal'. Thoroughly informal, but also widely used and recognized. The only difference being that melodeath is also a literal shorthand of the term from which it is differentiated.

It's a pretty obvious fallacy that ad hominems negate an entire argument, and you're clearly a stupid fucking faggot for thinking otherwise.

A person who resorts to ad hominem attacks before even making an actual argument is a person who has a limited intellect and, like someone who starts off a political discussion by saying "both parties are controlled by the Reptilians, but...", it's a clear indication that I can disregard what comes after that statement and just move on with my life. Thus far I've lost nothing through this policy.

A person who resorts to ad hominem attacks before even making an actual argument is a person who has a limited intellect and, like someone who starts off a political discussion by saying "both parties are controlled by the Reptilians, but...", it's a clear indication that I can disregard what comes after that statement and just move on with my life. Thus far I've lost nothing through this policy.

There's a difference between resorting to an ad hominem and throwing in an ad hominem out of annoyance. You seriously have to be retarded if you think adding in an ad hominem to a good argument makes it a worse argument or that taking one out makes it better. Likewise, automatically assuming that the guy that doesn't literally call somebody a name but nonetheless thoroughly, albeit passive-aggressively insults the person is foolish. What you said is childish and literally the extreme form of "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all".

Whether or not you are aware of the widespread usage of the phrase 'melodeath' as a shorthand for bands that are wrongly classified as death metal (Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Northern, Kalmah, most of In Flames' material and all of the bands it influenced), it has been in usage for many years. It is informal, but it exists, and it is useful. On this forum in particular, it has been widely discussed and agreed upon as a shorthand, and regulars are familiar with its usage as an understanding of separating Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum from Eucharist and Unanimated. That's all it is, and to make a big deal about it is absurd

Outside of the discussion that spawned this post I havent ever heard of the distinction between melodeath and melodic death metal. Not online and not IRL. Not saying some use it but it sure isnt widespread. For me its the same thing though - I never saw a distinction. There is obviously bands that lean more on the melodic and heavy metal side and bands that lean more on the death metal side of things.

Im guessing you are scandinavian by the username that you use. In swedish I use the terms in the same way, to mean the same thing - "melodöds", "melodisk döds" and "melodisk dödsmetall".

Outside of the discussion that spawned this post I havent ever heard of the distinction between melodeath and melodic death metal. Not online and not IRL. Not saying some use it but it sure isnt widespread. For me its the same thing though - I never saw a distinction. There is obviously bands that lean more on the melodic and heavy metal side and bands that lean more on the death metal side of things.

Im guessing you are scandinavian by the username that you use. In swedish I use the terms in the same way, to mean the same thing - "melodöds", "melodisk döds" and "melodisk dödsmetall".

Why does it seem like you always have amnesia? We've discussed my user name before. :loco: Also, maybe you haven't been on this forum long enough to have experienced the various discussions that distinguish between Melodic Death Metal (death metal with pronounced melodic tendencies) and 'Melodeath' (a partially pejorative term to describe 'extreme heavy/power metal' and thus differentiate it from death metal). However, the discussion has been repeated ad nauseum. Here's proof: Search history.

As I've already said, it's used very informally, and for the purposes of distinguishing two clearly distinct style of metal from one another, in the same manner that the term 'flower metal' is used. Because it's silly to say that With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness and Follow the Reaper are part of the same sub-genre. It's nonsensical use the term 'melodic death metal' to refer to a style of music that has nothing in common musically with death metal. 'Gothenburg' doesn't work because the term applies equally to the traditional Swedish death metal vein, so 'melodeath' was at some point appropriated to maintain the familiarity of the term while providing the necessary distinction.

As far as whether or not it's widespread, 'widespread' in this case is obviously relative. It is used on every metal forum that I've posted on that actually discusses extreme metal, including the Nuclear War Now! forum, Metal Rules, and Metal Archives, so it obviously extends beyond a couple of people on Ultimate Metal. But regardless of that, the post that LuminousAether was referencing should be taken in the context of the lexicon of the forum anyway, which, in this case, already has a (disputed) propensity to use the phrase in the manner I've previously described.

Now, before I am accused of taking things too seriously, I will rephrase and summarize my original point thusly:

In discussions wherein it becomes necessary or beneficial to introduce a distinction between the two forms of metal often associated with the term 'melodic death metal', in order to avoid confusion, the style that is derived from heavy/power metal may be referred to as 'melodeath' for convenience.

<3