Controversial opinions on metal

Old school BM? So Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bulldozer, Death SS, Slayer, Hellhammer, etc.

Or what? And nice way to back track and try and cover your ass... OBVIOUSLY you were criticizing that kind of stuff :rolleyes:

Obviously there is more to music than BM, fucking 'tard, which is why I showed my last.fm earlier which had proof of me listening to SIGNIFICANTLY more than just it...

I mean for fucks sake this is what I'm listening to now...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say if you don't like that, you don't like "Freezing Moon" by Mayhem, and that's the only conclusion that can be drawn, by that song alone. I listen to that album, even, and think "Freezing Moon" is fuckin lame. This is awesome though:

Old school BM? So Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bulldozer, Death SS, Slayer, Hellhammer, etc.

Or what? And nice way to back track and try and cover your ass... OBVIOUSLY you were criticizing that kind of stuff :rolleyes:

Obviously there is more to music than BM, fucking 'tard, which is why I showed my last.fm earlier which had proof of me listening to SIGNIFICANTLY more than just it...

I mean for fucks sake this is what I'm listening to now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAieroSw6Cg

Those bands are first wave, which I said I don't count as BM. Why the hell is Slayer added to that? By that logic Possessed are first wave BM XD When I say old school BM I mean 90's bands or at least bands that sound like they're 90's BM.

Well obviously even the you're still in the same mindset of a typical black metaller who takes things way too seriously. When I branched out to other music, I grew up. You obviously didn't.

EffigyForgotten: So BM is the only genre of metal now, is it? Thanks for that I actually thought I was a metal fan for a moment since I listen to traditional metal and doom metal... guess I was wrong *rolls eyes*

Those bands are first wave, which I said I don't count as BM. Why the hell is Slayer added to that? By that logic Possessed are first wave BM XD When I say old school BM I mean 90's bands or at least bands that sound like they're 90's BM.

Well obviously even the you're still in the same mindset of a typical black metaller who takes things way too seriously. When I branched out to other music, I grew up. You obviously didn't.

EffigyForgotten: So BM is the only genre of metal now, is it? Thanks for that I actually thought I was a metal fan for a moment since I listen to traditional metal and doom metal... guess I was wrong *rolls eyes*
Right that's why my sig has Suffocation in it and i'm listening to Periphery right now. Black metal is actually my least favorite genre.

Early black and death metal were not very strictly separated from one another as they are now. Slayer's early albums fit the black metal idea of basically being Satanic thrash/heavy metal. Show No Mercy is a perfect representation of this.

Possessed I'd have no issue being referred to as black metal either tbh

and what you 'consider' to be BM or not has no weight on whether it is or not. First wave BM IS FACTUALLY black metal.

Sacramentum are a 90s BM band, Dawn is a 90s BM band...so I don't get what you're going for. They're very representative of the 90s Swedish BM sound.

How am I taking things too seriously? I give a shit about the music I listen to - you're the one who is sitting here arguing with hellfire that the music we listen to is shit, you're the one trying to convince us that black metal is not music with fervor...

Who is taking things too seriously? Think for a moment

Ha, that was actually a pretty fun debate to read.

To be honest, BM is one of the most beautiful and emotive genres of music I've had the pleasure to listen to. To each their own, and it's cool that you don't like BM but saying that "it's all the same" is kind of a canned argument, to be honest.

Ha, that was actually a pretty fun debate to read.

To be honest, BM is one of the most beautiful and emotive genres of music I've had the pleasure to listen to. To each their own, and it's cool that you don't like BM but saying that "it's all the same" is kind of a canned argument, to be honest.
Especially Symphonic Black Metal...

SomeGuyDude: I'm a girl and the picture in my avatar is of me.

So I'm a troll because I'm trying to explain that although BM has it's moments, it's not as good a genre as people here are claiming? Sure... *rolls eyes* This thread is actually supposed to be about CONTROVERSIAL opinions, so what did you expect?

Mort Divine: I was referring to old school BM as that was the type of BM I've been criticising this whole time!

Both of you need to grow up and accept that there are other genres apart from BM.

BM is in the minority of what I listen to. But you're retarded. You're offering controversial opinions like me saying "ALL DEATH METAL IS URGLY BURGLIES AND ALSO YOUR MOMS ARE WHORES". Congratulations, you got a rise out of people by being stupid. I don't care your gender, you're an idiot.

Oh nice, you criticize old school BM, the bands who were at the forefront of breaking down barriers. Wait have you listened to Emperor and Darkthrone? Or did you not notice that the various bands have different sounds and are in many cases capable of quite memorable melodies? Nevermind, I know the answer.

Stupid fucks is stupid.

I don't know if this is controversial, but I really hate when thrash bands write songs about thrashing, or have Thrash in the title. It's like a writer breaking the 4th wall or something. It's not creative. At least act like you're passionate about something other than the music you're playing.

BM is mostly a genre I respect rather than like. With a few exceptions (Arcturus, some Mayhem, some Dimmu). It's not really my bag, but I can see why people like it. It was best in the 90's I reckons, but I've not really kept up with BM.
I did get Blackjazz by Shining though, and that's a fun listen!

Oh, and I love the mentioning of thrashing in songs. Can't argue with 'Sentenced to Thrash'.