Controversial opinions on metal

Folk inspired metal is awesome. Folk metal is terrible. See Moonsorrow, Ulver, Drudkh, Summoning, etc. vs <insert Finnish polka metal band here> or <big men with beards viking metal band>. There's such a huge discrepancy in sound and metal-ness... its tough to put into words. I guess I mean to say folk can't stand by itself as a sound. You've got to have influences of some other metal genre to make it work without coming off queer.

Fucking dot.

Kreator have one good album and a few good songs on other albums. Their vocals mostly suck though.

Destruction are boring. Thrash is a bit insipid and boring generally. It's like drinking music but not as good as traditional / nwobhm for that. I'm a bit worried that my ear's ability to listen to fast music has deteriorated though. I've heard that happens to older people and although I'm young, I'm sure my ability to appreciate that stuff has declined. It's not just taste, like I actually can't get into it, it's too much. My ears are gay. Lately I've just been listening to Beethoven and Blackmore's Night. Oh and a bit of Queen too.

Blind is my favorite by far, but beyond that one I might agree (although I haven't actually listened to it much).

Destruction are boring.

80's/Cracked Brain-era Destruction easily had some of the most unique and interesting riffs of the larger names.

I had a hard time making myself listen to Asphyx's "Death... the Brutal Way" because it really felt like the band was going "HAY GUYS WE PLAY DEATH METAL LISTEN LISTEN!!" Great album, but WOW.

I also really don't like gory album covers and titles. I understand why it's a thing, but I really don't like it. I'm way more impressed when a band like Woe calls an album "Quietly, Undramatically" and then rapes your earpussies. I'm way less interested in "AXEFUCKING THE MOLESTED SATAN SPAWN".

I agree. I have yet to be able to get into any of Asphyx's stuff really. Not sure if it's the band or the production or Van Drunen or what. On Divine Winds is very similar to the previous HoB album as well as Asphyx's style (Van Drunen not being the least of similarities), yet ODW I find a top notch listen, while I've never finished an Asphyx album.

I still need to hear King Animal. Never noticed any Soundgarden similarities on CoC's S/T, but I only listened to it once and didn't like it at all. Listening to that song, I can totally hear it. Need to give it another chance.

That, and most decent metalcore/"post-hardcore" has been classified into a different genre at this point.

Sludge is technically metalcore, for example. Doom Metal + Hardcore Punk = Sludge.

What in the fuck are you talking about? Unless you are trying to say that Metalcore = Metal = Hardcore, Deathcore = Death + Hardcore, then maybe I understand. Sorta explains why Sludge is gay as fuck.

Sorta explains why Sludge is gay as fuck.

hxewg8.jpg

I like Eyehategod. It's just that there happen to be like 5 worthy sludge bands instead of hundreds in the realm of BM/DM/Doom/etc.

What in the fuck are you talking about? Unless you are trying to say that Metalcore = Metal = Hardcore, Deathcore = Death + Hardcore, then maybe I understand. Sorta explains why Sludge is gay as fuck.

I think you meant to say that Metalcore = Metal + Hardcore, and that is indeed what I was getting at. Since we all agree in this forum that "Metal" is a nebulous genre, and many of us seem to understand that Terror-influenced hardcore is completely different from the stuff Black Flag was cranking out in the 80's, it only makes sense that some additional categorization was necessary to clarify some serious differences in sound.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way about sludge, Schmidt, but it's not surprising at all.

Pretty sure the -core influence in sludge is totally fucking different than the fake kind found in deathcore.

I'm not completely sold on that, although I would have agreed with you a year ago. Would you say that Old Man Gloom plays Sludge?

Last edited by a moderator: