Controversial opinions on metal

So is your point that funeral doom isn't metal at all? There is definitely stuff out there called doom metal that takes more after Swans and other gothic and post-punk bands than metal (see: The Gault and Beyond Dawn), but Thergothon?

And I don't think the jump from Winter and whatever other bands is nearly as drastic as any case you could make from non-doom "extreme metal". Leaving it as a fusion genre between doom and death metal (more from the former) and still a couple notches slower works fine enough.

I actually didn't even know wtf eligos was talking about, which is why I said what I did. Annnd no reason to reply to this again because I'm not overly interested in arguing with you in particular because you've been annoying in this thread for hundreds of pages. Its not doom metal just because its slow.

I actually didn't even know wtf eligos was talking about, which is why I said what I did. Annnd no reason to reply to this again because I'm not overly interested in arguing with you in particular because you've been annoying in this thread for hundreds of pages. Its not doom metal just because its slow.

So you agreed with a post that you couldn't even understand? lol. I never said that it was doom metal just because it's slow. My argument is 1) that to call it death metal because its lineage from doom metal is murky is ridiculous unless someone can demonstrate exactly what death metal bands were supposedly the primary influence and 2) to hold up any Swans or other post-punk influence as primary is a stretch actually listen both side-by-side. I mean, even comparing the slowest and heaviest of earlier Swans (songs like Heaven and Greed for example) is much further from the early funeral doom bands than early death/doom (and maybe a little bit of the gothic-tinged UK stuff).

Black Sabbath and N.I.B. are the only two great songs on Black Sabbath's self-titled debut.

Daniel Heiman has the best voice for power metal genre and nobody can match him.

There is a band called Time Concerto from Korea which is going to kick some serious asses next year.

I buy all my music and I always will. Getting a physical package, like a vinyl record, or even a CD with the artwork and booklet with liner notes makes me significantly happier than randomly downloading some shitty mp3 off of the internet.

With CDs being way cheaper today than ever, the ease of legal downloading, and having a plethora of music at your finger tips for $10 a month via spotify, I see no reason to pirate in this day and age.

Listened to Death's Human for about the 10th time. I don't think there's anything special about this record and I don't get why some hold it in such high esteem. I mean it's good, but I really don't understand how people consider it one of the best death and/or prog metal records ever.

I buy all my music and I always will. Getting a physical package, like a vinyl record, or even a CD with the artwork and booklet with liner notes makes me significantly happier than randomly downloading some shitty mp3 off of the internet.

With CDs being way cheaper today than ever, the ease of legal downloading, and having a plethora of music at your finger tips for $10 a month via spotify, I see no reason to pirate in this day and age.

Yeah agreed. But I think it's a dying hobby, actually owning albums. Poor bastards in high school nowadays... they'll never know what it was like.

Yeah agreed. But I think it's a dying hobby, actually owning albums. Poor bastards in high school nowadays... they'll never know what it was like.

I think the fact that vinyl records are the fastest growing medium for music would suggest otherwise. Yeah, it's still a niche thing, and still only represents a single digit percentile of total music sales, but it's growing rapidly. I hope it continues to do so.

I very much enjoy the fact that my kids will know what vinyl records are. The format lives for another generation! :)

I think the fact that vinyl records are the fastest growing medium for music would suggest otherwise. Yeah, it's still a niche thing, and still only represents a single digit percentile of total music sales, but it's growing rapidly. I hope it continues to do so.

I very much enjoy the fact that my kids will know what vinyl records are. The format lives for another generation! :)

Is it really? Well no shit, I'm glad to hear it. Should've known I guess, with the whole retro old school fad thing goin on.

I rarely speak with anyone that just downloads music for free - everyone supports bands in some way or another - all these new colour vinyls are awesome for collectors - stuff from years ago being released in such awesome packaging with artwork - it's fucking awesome.

I'm running out of room for my records.

Discogs - best website ever.

Food for thought: I'm friends with tank crimes records on facebook. He just recently sold 1000 records (not CDs, vinyl is all he mentioned) in a week's time and was celebrating and talking about releasing tons more stuff. If a small label can do that, gives me faith the hardcopy isn't dead. (Oh and if you buy his stuff you get the mp3s for free)