Controversial opinions on metal

just as I don't like Cannibal Corpse or other oldschool death metal acts lacking innovation or technicality

:lol: yeah oldschool death metal acts lack innovation alright... THEY INVENTED THE FUCKING GENRE how much more innovative do you want?! the majority of new 'tech' death is simply shit. soulless, heartless, brainless over the top wankery meant to impress people with the musical tastes of a 12 year old.

:lol: yeah oldschool death metal acts lack innovation alright... THEY INVENTED THE FUCKING GENRE how much more innovative do you want?! the majority of new 'tech' death is simply shit. soulless, heartless, brainless over the top wankery meant to impress people with the musical tastes of a 12 year old.

Or, maybe it's just over your head, so you just resort to calling it shit.

Or, maybe it's just over your head, so you just resort to calling it shit.

no not really. in the majority of that shit there isn't a single memorable fucking riff... just "oh guys check out how fast i can do sweep picking! that isn't gratuitous at all! awesome!"

Most bands that last for many years tend to peak within their first few albums, although there definitely are bands who consistently release good or amazing music.

Most bands that last for many years tend to peak within their first few albums, although there definitely are bands who consistently release good or amazing music.

there seems to be a ten year threshold... after that most bands go downhill.

no not really. in the majority of that shit there isn't a single memorable fucking riff... just "oh guys check out how fast i can do sweep picking! that isn't gratuitous at all! awesome!"

Agreed, most of it is just there to cover up bad songwriting, somewhat like walking fast enough so no one will notice how ugly you are (there's a few exceptions though, a tech death band without blast beats will get me more interested for example) .

So, would you prefer every metal band to rehash old material and always stay the same?

of course not. we want substance over style. there's nothing wrong with incorporating technical elements in one's music... it's just that one a band is labelled a 'Tech' band they tend to have an overabundance of technicality at the expense of songwriting.

of course not. we want substance over style. there's nothing wrong with incorporating technical elements in one's music... it's just that one a band is labelled a 'Tech' band they tend to have an overabundance of technicality at the expense of songwriting.

I agree with you there. It's like when a band is trying to be "progressive" they forget to actually write music they would enjoy. Same can go with tech stuff, though I still enjoy some of it.