Crimson II half assed recording.

I already have it tabbed out, but in Tabit.. If I put it into text I'd have to cut some of the instruments. Would you mind just the main guitar and the noticeable leads?

And I am trying to tab the whole thing.. I just hit a bit of a tabbers block I guess.

Eliogabalus said:
I already have it tabbed out, but in Tabit.. If I put it into text I'd have to cut some of the instruments. Would you mind just the main guitar and the noticeable leads?

And I am trying to tab the whole thing.. I just hit a bit of a tabbers block I guess.

Yeah text format would be sweet! The main guitar and leads sounds fine to me! Go go go!

Demilich said:
I thought this was going to be about the recording quality of the actual Crimson II album, and the title may have been accurate.

The production quality in Crimson II is quite good, you'd have to be on drugs to get the impression it was half-assed (was just listening to it a couple of hours ago).

Haha, "half-assed" certainly isn't a word to describe it, but I can see why someone would not like the recording quality/production style, being so crystal-clear and and clean compared to the other Edge of Sanity albums.

madu said:
Haha, "half-assed" certainly isn't a word to describe it, but I can see why someone would not like the recording quality/production style, being so crystal-clear and and clean compared to the other Edge of Sanity albums.

Yes, it's good, but after listening for it some time now, I'd say it's a bit "overproduced". A bit more dynamic left would have been better imho

madu said:

I appreciate the "crystal clear" part because it makes Dan's voice (and his counterpart on that album) sound a lot better. Purgatory Afterglow, for example, is my favorite Edge of Sanity album, but I sometimes wonder how Black Tears would have sounded if the recording was clearer. (Particularly his somewhat muffled voice: Dan should re-record this song at one point).

I completely understand how cool grimey recordings sound, and if you like that, that's a fair opinion. No accounting for taste, right? But Crimson II isn't half-assed in its production (I mean, can you really say that about a 40 minute death metal song? It's like the epitome of careful and deliberate).

I just don't like the way it sounds at all, and it's not because it's crystal clear. Now, I haven't listened to it in a few months so I won't comment any further on it for now, but soon I'll go find it in my room and give it a spin. I just remember never wanting to listen to it because of how the recording sounded. Way too digital for my tastes, I believe.

Demilich said:
I just don't like the way it sounds at all, and it's not because it's crystal clear. Now, I haven't listened to it in a few months so I won't comment any further on it for now, but soon I'll go find it in my room and give it a spin. I just remember never wanting to listen to it because of how the recording sounded. Way too digital for my tastes, I believe.

I think what you mean is that it's very prog-ish. (Moontower was like that too)