Crimson II Mp3 help!

ChromeLife

askew
Oct 24, 2001
Atlanta, GA
Heya, I have been on here before talking about crimson II and how much I adore it... well I recently got an ipod, and am trying to figure out how to get one solid mp3 of the entire thing. I have tried to use cooledit to assemble the seperate tracks off the disc and my ripping program seems to be putting very short silences at the end of tracks. I am using musicmatch. If anyone knows how to rip the disc without these silences, or has the full mp3 they could send me (over aim or soulseek), I would really appreciate it. I do own the cd... im not sure how I can prove that.. but yeah.. anyway.. thank you very much for any help!

Hehehe...my copy protection wooooorrrrkkkkzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!
I guess you could just record the whole CD to your harddrive through your soundcard. Just connect a traditional CD player to the Line In jack and "fix" a 2 track recording software like Wavelab or something (if you do Mace there's Peak and Spark) Press play and wait 43 minutes for your 1 track wavfile to convert and rock out to in your Ipod..

so much for that copy protection....

D

Yeah, but there is another way too :)) and without such quality loss as the jack input is. Let's see.
- grab entire album on your hdd
- download silence remover from http://www.noisetime.com/silrem.html
- in that app choose level -28,6 dB for removing (empirical uncovered)
- throw all your grabbed files into this app and go to processing page
- set some prefix and push "Process"
- now take processed files and mix them in any app you want

It should work.

BTW. Really fucking clever protection!! They easiest way is the best way. Really nice work, Dan.

Haha.. yeah it works very well Dan :p... I downloaded that file and Im gonna use it in a bit.. thanks so much... now I should be able to rock out!

Even worse than separate tracks on an ipod - my discman got stuck on random one day when I was listening to Crimson II. I was walking to school in a huge hurry and I thought the stupid thing was broken and skipping all over the disc and it was driving me crazy but I didn't have time to stop and fix it right away. Crimson II does not sound good on random. :(

Dan Swanö said:
I guess you could just record the whole CD to your harddrive through your soundcard. Just connect a traditional CD player to the Line In jack and "fix" a 2 track recording software like Wavelab or something (if you do Mace there's Peak and Spark) Press play and wait 43 minutes for your 1 track wavfile to convert and rock out to in your Ipod..

D

Too bad I ain't an American on that one... If that was the case, I'd sue you or your label for latent defect. When a CD is bought, it is supposed to work on whichever reading device you put it on, and you should be able to use whataver way you want, since it remains for your personal use.
Now, I fucking BOUGHT your CD, I don't have any CD player other than the one in my computer, I listen to my music thanks to my Archos MP3 player, I've never ever broken any copyright rule, and now, I can't even listen to it?
What the fuck you call this? I call this swindle; since a few fuckers steal the artists' money by burning CDs, I who have been honest all the time with that, I should pay for them? No fucking way.
What sadistic mind induced you to fucking split it in to 40-ish tracks? It wasn't written on the packing, it was made intentionaly to bother everyone including people like me who worked their asses off at the factory to earn an expensive but great MP3 device. And if I even had a CD player, there would be loss of quality because of two useless conversions (one digital-to-analogic through the cable connecting the CD player to the computer, one analogic-to-digital through the soudcard).
Mr Guano, uh Swano, what do you take your fans for? For fucking THIEVES????

But whatever, thanks to the French law on latent defect, I'll had this shit paid back. And I'm pretty tempted to give my (bought) older EoS albums to friends for them to burn them. Sorry, you'll therefore lose a few dollars, but whatever... we're thugs! What else would you have expected?

Disregarding the frenchman's bitching, I suggest using CDex to rip the full thing. Pop the disc in, go to convert, down to extract a section of the cd and choose the appropriate times 00:00:00 through 43:00:00 for example or however exactly it looks, and click extract. Or, if you'd like (and only since I know you've bought the album) I could send you the file that I've already compressed from my copy. I too needed it for my portable mp3 player.

Dan Swanö said:

D
So, if I'm not missing something, the point of the copy protection was to make all our lives harder by forcing us to dig up a line-in cord and record a single track to Cool Edit and then split it up into separate tracks, instead of simply allowing people who bought the album to rip the tracks directly?

Next time, skip on the copy protection...

The Trou-Peur said:
Too bad I ain't an American on that one... If that was the case, I'd sue you or your label for latent defect. When a CD is bought, it is supposed to work on whichever reading device you put it on, and you should be able to use whataver way you want, since it remains for your personal use.
Now, I fucking BOUGHT your CD, I don't have any CD player other than the one in my computer, I listen to my music thanks to my Archos MP3 player, I've never ever broken any copyright rule, and now, I can't even listen to it?
What the fuck you call this? I call this swindle; since a few fuckers steal the artists' money by burning CDs, I who have been honest all the time with that, I should pay for them? No fucking way.
What sadistic mind induced you to fucking split it in to 40-ish tracks? It wasn't written on the packing, it was made intentionaly to bother everyone including people like me who worked their asses off at the factory to earn an expensive but great MP3 device. And if I even had a CD player, there would be loss of quality because of two useless conversions (one digital-to-analogic through the cable connecting the CD player to the computer, one analogic-to-digital through the soudcard).

But whatever, thanks to the French law on latent defect, I'll had this shit paid back. And I'm pretty tempted to give my (bought) older EoS albums to friends for them to burn them. Sorry, you'll therefore lose a few dollars, but whatever... we're thugs! What else would you have expected?
You are an asshole - that's the protection how is supposed to be. no shit that you can't read it. In normal CD player it plays normal. In computer it plays with distorsion on end of the track 'cause thats fucking architecture of PCs and fucking CD players. Use player with some cool buffering and stop throw this shit out. It is really clever protection - it has no limitations for end users only for them which are completely LAME! No fucking protection tracks or shit - that's what I appreciate. You wanna grab this - still it works. It is grabbed as it is supposed to be. It plays continuously in normal mp3 player. You got problem that you want 43min in one mp3? So that's your fucking problem. I found the way how to handle it BUT putting this whole thing in one 43min mp3 is thing that is NOT supposed to be done. It is man-made additional problem that has no relation to PLAYING AND GRABBING in normal way. So go .... yourself. I solved that problem and it was fun to do that. It is protection that does not violate playing on ANY CORRECT CD PLAYER (including PCs). You are a French but you fucking whine like some US bitch.

...Sorry guys from US - you know that sometimes your people and law are really weird.

I don't have to waste time with that, I'm supposed to work on my PhD, so if I have to d/l endless softs that won't even work and lose a lot of time at the end, no way. I'm a physicist, and it bothers me already a lot to launch 30-minute simulations from goddamn C-programs, and I don't wanna be even more pissed by some ripper or whatever!

Jabarkas said:
You are an asshole - that's the protection how is supposed to be. no shit that you can't read it. In normal CD player it plays normal. In computer it plays with distorsion on end of the track 'cause thats fucking architecture of PCs and fucking CD players. Use player with some cool buffering and stop throw this shit out. It is really clever protection - it has no limitations for end users only for them which are completely LAME! No fucking protection tracks or shit - that's what I appreciate. You wanna grab this - still it works. It is grabbed as it is supposed to be. It plays continuously in normal mp3 player. You got problem that you want 43min in one mp3? So that's your fucking problem. I found the way how to handle it BUT putting this whole thing in one 43min mp3 is thing that is NOT supposed to be done. It is man-made additional problem that has no relation to PLAYING AND GRABBING in normal way. So go .... yourself. I solved that problem and it was fun to do that. It is protection that does not violate playing on ANY CORRECT CD PLAYER (including PCs). You are a French but you fucking whine like some US bitch.

...Sorry guys from US - you know that sometimes your people and law are really weird.

You buy a CD, you expect it to work on every CD player. Otherwise, that's a rip-off.

Jabarkas said:
You wanna grab this - still it works. It is grabbed as it is supposed to be

Could you speak more precisely, please? I'm pretty fucked with English and the above sentence don't mean shit to me.

The Trou-Peur said:

sounds like a big fun...
What you are telling me makes me imagine Dan sitting in his studio and trying to make another fan's life more difficult. Don't you think that would be a total nonesense? One doesn't need to be a fucking Einstein to be able to understand that any record company would pay to its artist only in case this artist will protect his recordings and therefore company's money.
Dan has chosen his own way of protection so in my opinion only an ultimate moron can blame him for that.

Bitch bitch bitch.

1. If the CD doesn't work in your player, then it's a fucking dumb player. It works fine in both my computer and both my CD players.

2. If having 40 tracks makes it hard for you to work on your precious mp3 player, then it's a simple matter of (gasp) making the goddamn thing less tracks. It's not hard. There are only, oh, a billion programs that can do it in the same amount of time it takes to rip the CD normally.

lumen said:
I heard in the US it's technically illegal to make any copies of a CD, DVD, game, etc, even if it is just for your own use. Anyone know if this is true? Not like that makes much difference, I'm just curious.

In the US you are allowed to make one backup copy for yourself. It only becomes illegal if you distribute it, or make more than one copy. Of course most music and game companies aren't dumb and realize that most people do not make backups but make copies to distribute, so that's where copy protection comes into play.