Crimson II Mp3 help!

I ripped it and put it together with goldwave. Works fine. I don`t want to discuss if it makes sense or not to use a copy protection, but 1. at least it is not one of those protected cds that you can't play at all on a PC and 2. as I more than once could find out, that Dan is one of a few guys that always would do everything for his fans - for us.

K

^^
I have no real issue with what Dan elected to do with Crimson II. If I'm playing the actual CD in my car or home stereo, it's a non-issue. If I want to spin Crimson II on my iPod while travelling, at the gym, etc., then it's impractical and actually kinda annoying (although partly because Apple hasn't integrated a crossfader option with the iPod yet...only via iTunes) at times.

How did I miss this thread?

People are fuckjobs. Wow.

I think Dan was being very tongue in cheek when talking about this being a copy protection scheme.

In 1996, when Crimson was released, it was a one-track, 40 minute song. No breaks. AND THAT WAS THE MOST COMMON COMPLAINT I HAVE EVER SEEN ABOUT THE ALBUM. You could never just go to a part you wanted to listen to, you had to do that freaky search fast forward thing.

But I guess anything metal-related in the 90s didn't happen since there were few people on the internet and therefore good music didn't exist because nobody knew anything except what was on MTV and the radio, right?

He answers that complaint for Crimson II and now OMG IT IS DEFECTIVE.

And don't ipods just have that little in-ear headphone? I'd rather listen to no music, ever, than have to deal with that shit. Even when using a handheld CD player walking around, I've got a fairly large set of headphones I walk around with. People in town look at me weird but I don't give a fuck because I'm listening to music that sounds really good.

Convenience has destroyed appreciation for music.

Says the guy who complained that there were no index points for Crimson. ;)

Jim LotFP said:
And don't ipods just have that little in-ear headphone? I'd rather listen to no music, ever, than have to deal with that shit. Even when using a handheld CD player walking around, I've got a fairly large set of headphones I walk around with. People in town look at me weird but I don't give a fuck because I'm listening to music that sounds really good.
Umm... Who said you HAVE to use the headphones that come with the ipod. I don't know anyone who does. I use my KOSS Porta Pro headphones with my ipod and when you rip your albums to 192 or higher, you do get a pretty damn good sound using that combination and you don't have to carry around a stack of CDs. It sure makes my commuting to work every day a hellyva lot more enjoyable.

Fred304 said:
The best way to extract Crimson II as a single track is using Exact Audio Copy. Just make an "image & cue sheet" (and delete the cue sheet since you only need it to burn the 44 individual tracks which you do not want). Voila, one single large wav file. Without any manual interventions and no quality loss :)

I always use EAC too...anyway if you have the wav file you can convert it to mp3 with every possible program out there...I use dbpoweramp
my recomendation for almost not lossy and small space format is the mp3 lame 256kb/s vbr or 320kb/s cbr. just a little over 100MB and sounds almost like the lossless without waisting 600MB on a wave file.

Stilgar said:
Umm... Who said you HAVE to use the headphones that come with the ipod.

hmm. Some advertising I'd seen for "alternate" headphones sure made it sound like that was the case. *shrug* I've certainly never been close enough to an ipod to check out its holes. I still think mp3s are the devil. :p

Kenneth R. said:
actually some are. and its lame

That sounds ultra lame. Mine is compatible with everything, and it's the size of a pack of gum. It's wonderful. I have 33 albums on it. It makes long trips so easy!

Jim LotFP said:
How did I miss this thread?

'Cause it died at least a year ago...and then out of self-interest I resurrected it. ;)

Jim LotFP said:
People are fuckjobs. Wow.

Generally, yes.

Jim LotFP said:
In 1996, when Crimson was released, it was a one-track, 40 minute song. No breaks. AND THAT WAS THE MOST COMMON COMPLAINT I HAVE EVER SEEN ABOUT THE ALBUM. You could never just go to a part you wanted to listen to, you had to do that freaky search fast forward thing.

I'm pretty sure I'd not have enjoyed Crimson in the least back in '96, even if I had known about it. My first exposure to EoS probably came in late 2003. Much like Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness, I love that Crimson is presented as a single serving.

Jim LotFP said:
But I guess anything metal-related in the 90s didn't happen since there were few people on the internet and therefore good music didn't exist because nobody knew anything except what was on MTV and the radio, right?.

You're free to believe that, if you like. But the fact is without the Internet I doubt I ever find out about your zine, the PM board, this place, and in an effort to keep things forum-related, anything pertaining to Dan Swanö. So what if I was late to the party? It has yet to end and regardless of how I arrived here, I still made it.

Jim LotFP said:
He answers that complaint for Crimson II and now OMG IT IS DEFECTIVE.

You say defective, I say in some instances inconvenient and/or impractical. Regardless, it's not an issue I've ever been up in arms about.

Jim LotFP said:

No, you can use whatever headphones you like. I tend to switch between some studio monitor type headphones and a pair of higher quality in-ear headphones. Doesn't matter what you've listening to something through, or what anyone thinks it/you look like, provided you dig what you're hearing.

Jim LotFP said:
Convenience has destroyed appreciation for music.

You may be right...to an extent. Convenience has helped me considerably broaden my tastes in metal and other forms of music in the last ten years. It's sent me on road trips, taken me to countless shows, and added hundreds albums to my CD collection, and has led me to discover certain artists/albums that have become a significant part of my existance.

Dan Swanö said:
Hehehe...my copy protection wooooorrrrkkkkzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!

Ha, actually, there are at least 3 programs that I've used to rip Crimson II (for personal use) (track by track or as a single wav) and only took 3 mins... Not giving out the names so Dan will feel better about his copy-protection... but I would recomend the 1 track idea, that's how I originally did it to match Crimson I...

Even Sony (or Epic)'s copy protection of Life of Agony's "Broken Valley" didn't stand in my way... :Smokin:

Crimson II is kind of cool if your audio player will shuffle w/o skipping a beat (cross-fading by about 10-20 milliseconds)... You can listen over and over and it'll be different everytime.