Crimson II Mp3 help!

It was pretty easy to do. I ripped all tracks from the CD into .wav format using PoikoSoft's Easy CD-DA extractor version 6 (no silences at the beginning or end) and then used a shareware copy of GoldWave to edit the tracks back together, saved it as one large wav file. Burned a copy of that for my car. Then converted that .wav file to 320kpbs mp3. Voila, a one-track crimson II for my iPod.

As it should be.

The best way to extract Crimson II as a single track is using Exact Audio Copy. Just make an "image & cue sheet" (and delete the cue sheet since you only need it to burn the 44 individual tracks which you do not want). Voila, one single large wav file. Without any manual interventions and no quality loss :)

The Trou-Peur said:
I don't have to waste time with that, I'm supposed to work on my PhD
Apparently you have the time to come here and bitch about it...
I think it's up to every artist if they wish to protect their work. I don't think Dan does it as much for the few extra bucks it might earn him as for the principle that you don't want your art ripped or copied. I know that I sure as hell wouldn't want that.

I understand it can be frustrating, but it's not Dan's fault, it's all the cheating rippers out there who sit with harddrives full of music but not any real albums in their possession. Those people are the cause of extreme measures like Dan's copy protection, like it or not.

Nefilim said:
Apparently you have the time to come here and bitch about it...
I think it's up to every artist if they wish to protect their work. I don't think Dan does it as much for the few extra bucks it might earn him as for the principle that you don't want your art ripped or copied. I know that I sure as hell wouldn't want that.

I understand it can be frustrating, but it's not Dan's fault, it's all the cheating rippers out there who sit with harddrives full of music but not any real albums in their possession. Those people are the cause of extreme measures like Dan's copy protection, like it or not.
That's a fantastic statement Nefilim!

it's a good statment yes, but the sad thing is that these copy protections cause more trouble to the "normal" users than the people who really want to get the cd's ripped and broadcasted over the net.

Fred304 said:
The best way to extract Crimson II as a single track is using Exact Audio Copy. Just make an "image & cue sheet" (and delete the cue sheet since you only need it to burn the 44 individual tracks which you do not want). Voila, one single large wav file. Without any manual interventions and no quality loss :)

You only have to compensate for the read offset of your drive in case you're anal about audio ripping (which I am) - EAC does not seem to apply the correction when using the "image & cue sheet" mode (as opposed to the normal track ripping mode).
That was so easy it was scary. THANK YOU. Perfect quality too.

I had to rip another copy of Crimson II for my iPod, and since I'd deleted the original .wav file, I used PoikoSoft's Easy CD-DA Extractor, version 7.1.1. Go to EDIT / COMBINE TRACKS. All the tracks on the CD are condensed into one large track. Rip at whatever quality you like. No big .wav file sitting on your hard drive, no gaps in between tracks. Easy as cake.

I still prefer EAC. Combining tracks is like looking in the table of contents of a book which chapter consists of which pages, copying all chapters and then merging them together instead of just copying the book as a whole (without the table of contents of course).

Plus EAC is considered to be the best ripping tool when it comes to quality. Of course you have to use secure mode and own a good drive (some drives tend to reproducably give back wrong samples, the Toshiba 1702 DVD ROM for example).

Ah well, I could go on forever... :Spin:

Fred304 said:
EAC does not seem to apply the correction when using the "image & cue sheet" mode (as opposed to the normal track ripping mode).
Now I know what went wrong. Damn that AccurateRip! It disables the read offset correction when reading images. After a complete reinstall without AccurateRip EAC rips an image just fine with offset correction.

Fred304 said:

You only have to compensate for the read offset of your drive in case you're anal about audio ripping (which I am) - EAC does not seem to apply the correction when using the "image & cue sheet" mode (as opposed to the normal track ripping mode).

I must be a dumbarse I dont understand that program :(

iTunes lets you rip several tracks into ONE MP3. Get iTunes (it's free) and the help file should help, as per the file name.

Torenstain said:
I must be a dumbarse I dont understand that program :(
What exactly do you not understand?

Unicorn said:
I can't understand why somebody converts a goodsounding album into an Mp3 when he has it on CD.
Maybe people are too lazy to get to their CD storage, grab the right CD, take it out of the jewelcase, put it into the CD player, wait for the CD player to accept the CD, press play... :D

Fred304 said:
What exactly do you not understand?

Maybe people are too lazy to get to their CD storage, grab the right CD, take it out of the jewelcase, put it into the CD player, wait for the CD player to accept the CD, press play... :D
Or maybe we like to carry around iPods so we can have all our favorite music in our pockets and not have to deal with lugging a bunch of CDs around all the time. I have exact CD copies of Crimson and Crimson II that I use for playback in my car (so my originals won't get lost or stolen), but I also can listen to it anywhere I want on my iPod when I'm not at home or in the car as well.

That's why.

COnsiderateApathy said:
I had to rip another copy of Crimson II for my iPod, and since I'd deleted the original .wav file, I used PoikoSoft's Easy CD-DA Extractor, version 7.1.1. Go to EDIT / COMBINE TRACKS. All the tracks on the CD are condensed into one large track. Rip at whatever quality you like. No big .wav file sitting on your hard drive, no gaps in between tracks. Easy as cake.
I ripped it with PoikoSoft's Easy CD-DA Extractor version 8.1.4, and Apple's iTunes. Pretty much the same result: works well.

Wow, this thread is old, and this post... unnecessary.

I loves me some search functionality...

Finally broke down and went to add Crimson II to my iPod with some other EoS stuff I've purchased lately. Of course i was frustrated by the 40+ tracks, but this thread and a little EAC action as prescribed above was all it took to join everything into one 43 minute track... converted it to the preferred file format, and damn if i can't spind Crimson and Crimson II back to back for 83 minutes of pure metal bliss...

Unicorn said:
I can't understand why somebody converts a goodsounding album into an Mp3 when he has it on CD. :confused:

Because you can't play a cd in an mp3 player. People prefer to carry mp3 players because you can carry multiple albums on a device the size of a pack of gum rather than one album in a device the size of a small plate.