Cryptopsy without a vocalist.

Nico16

Oct 10, 2001
germoney.
I heard Cryptopsy are searching for a new vocalist AGAIN. The last guy who only appeared on the live-album, is out again. I wonder WTF those guys are doing - I mean, they already have three ex-vocalists. I guess in 10 years everybody and his dog will have already sung for Cryptopsy at least a few times.

SunlapseVertigo said:
I hope DiSalvo rejoins.
DiSalvo was "okay". My only problem with the guy is that whenever I listen to ..And Then You'll Beg I can't help but think that he's holding his screams back a bit. Lord Worm ruled though, they should definitly bring him back. Does anyone know Lord Worm's real name, by the way? I've been searching and can't find it.

The only thing that bothered me about Lord Worm was that it's almost damn near impossible to decipher what he is singing. I looked up the lyrics for Crown of Horns yesterday and read them as he sang them, and even then it was hard to follow. Still an amazing DM singer though.

That's the thing, though...my definition of awesome death vocalist requires that the vocalist not be a Mike Patton-wannabe and make intelligible sounds.

Opeth, Dark Tranquility, Suffocation, Fear Factory, and Carcass had great vocalists, and they were in your face, heavy, and yet somewhat understandable.

Lord Worm sounded like a puppy on crack. Most of Cryptopsy's older stuff sounded like it was a crappy voice-over on an instrumental or something(like Phobophile, an awesome song, but DiSAlvo would have been much better on it).

anonymousnick2001 said:
That's the thing, though...my definition of awesome death vocalist requires that the vocalist not be a Mike Patton-wannabe and make intelligible sounds.

Opeth, Dark Tranquility, Suffocation, Fear Factory, and Carcass had great vocalists, and they were in your face, heavy, and yet somewhat understandable.

Lord Worm sounded like a puppy on crack. Most of Cryptopsy's older stuff sounded like it was a crappy voice-over on an instrumental or something(like Phobophile, an awesome song, but DiSAlvo would have been much better on it).
fool.

Bwahaha. You guys seriously suck. Disalvo ruined Cryptopsy and Lord Worm is one of the best growlers of all time. He doesn't sound like Mike Patton one iota either, he sounds like Aaron Stainthorpe's growls, a very wet and evil growl like growls should be.

Bring back Lord Worm, yes please! I think his vocals fit the unique sound of the band perfectly, his voice even matches the lyrics.

DiSalvo sounded too "Hardcore" to me and if you notice the progression of the albums you can hear that Cryptopsy changed their style slightly to fit his vocals. Lord Worm was/is THE BEST death metal vocalist I've ever heard. Hoppefully he dropped the "home brewery" idea nad returns to Cryptopsy. Would be great to see Worm do "phobophile" live. also the last dude was a great mix of both Disalvo and Worm, I guess he just couldn't keep up with the speeds? I did notice he fucked up on "phobophile" a couple times on the live cd.

DiSalvo wasn't "hardcore", that would be a monotone higher pitched yell (not that its always bad in hardcore's case). I also liked their "style change", Whisper Supremacy and And then Youll Beg are the 2 best Cryptopsy albums. None so Vile can be kinda boring, its just typical "techincal brutal death metal", which is not bad, but they really got good on WS.

i could join them :)

i just dont see why you guys hate Mike that much, i mean... he wasnt that bad
i agree that Lord Worm was better than him, but Mike didnt suck and i heard that the new one had only 2 weeks to learn the songs for the None so Live gig, so unfortunately he screwed up on some of the songs

SunlapseVertigo said:
I hope DiSalvo rejoins.

I hope he doesn't. He more or less ruined And Then You'll Beg and Whisper Supremacy for me. He's got the most boring voice I've ever heard, and he doesn't fit a death metal band at all. Lord Worm, on the other hand, is the best death metal vocalist ever. His performances on "Abigor", "Defenestration" and "Benedictine Convulsions" border to genius. What a man. I love the way he can goes from a deep, guttural grunt to a high-pitched scream. I love the man.

henrikmain said:
I hope he doesn't. He more or less ruined And Then You'll Beg and Whisper Supremacy for me. He's got the most boring voice I've ever heard, and he doesn't fit a death metal band at all. Lord Worm, on the other hand, is the best death metal vocalist ever. His performances on "Abigor", "Defenestration" and "Benedictine Convulsions" border to genius. What a man. I love the way he can goes from a deep, guttural grunt to a high-pitched scream. I love the man.
Well i disagree. Not much else to say. Its not that LW was bad, i just liked Mike a lot better.

Oh well! I hope they pick up someone with a fairly unique voice. DiSalvo's delivery was extremely weak, and I think they can do better than get someone who grunts like Lord Worm....although those are really the characteristic Cryptopsy vocals, and there aren't any vocalists who sound like Lord Worm...so...

I like Whisper Supremacy's and And Then You'll Beg's music enough to enjoy the discs, but DiSalvo didn't belong in death metal at all.