Cthulhu The Movie

I've seen every Beverly Hills 90210 episode up until they went to college.. and even then probably 90% of those. Sad childhood? Maybe. But was kind of at a good timeslot when I usually was home. And sister was a big fan.

So despite multiple bad breast jobs, I don't have anything against Tori Spelling =d

I liked that silent "Call of Cthulhu" a lot. Very fun to watch. Not so sure about this new movie, but I'll probably watch it someday.

That aside...would a Cthulhu movie really be any good? I think it might pale in comparison to Mr. Lovecraft's nightmares.

I am almost in agreement. I personally think the only way to make a good Lovecraftian film is to create an original story with elements of what made his fiction creepy instead of trying to adapt one that already exists. I know del Toro plans to make a period-appropriate "In the Mountains of Madness" movie, and if anyone can do it he can, but even that story doesn't lend itself to "movie." Even the silent CoC movie is fun but it's only 45 minutes.

It's why the John Carpenter movie "The Thing" or the first "Alien" are better Lovecraftian films than the ones that are allegedly based on his works.

Tori Spelling? Yikes! That's the same recipe for disaster that was used when some dope decided to make a Godzilla movie with Matthew Broderick. :zombie: Don't even get me started on that one..... :puke:

And worse, it was set in New York, home state of Blue Oyster Cult, and they didn't even use "Godzilla" in the movie. Blasphemy made flesh! :lol:

And worse, it was set in New York, home state of Blue Oyster Cult, and they didn't even use "Godzilla" in the movie. Blasphemy made flesh! :lol:

Hahaha yes, very true! Although I suppose it all worked out well in the end as I'm doubtful BOC would have wanted such a great song associated with such a terrible movie. :loco: You know this deplorable movie version of Godzilla actually make "Kingdom of the Spiders" and "Night of the Lepus" look like masterpieces and that's saying something! :lol:

What I want to know is, these guys were given a huge budget to make a Godzilla movie, and they wound up making a hybrid of "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" and "Jurassic Park." They tried to make it scientifically plausible (yeah, right!) and wound up sucking the fun out of it. In a Godzilla movie, I want to see masses of people running from a monster breathing fire and destroying things. From one of the few scenes I can remember, Godzilla ran around a vacated NYC while getting shout at by helicopters. That's entertainment. Not.

For a while they thought the Cloverfield film was going to be Cthulhu or Lovecraftian in nature. I still don't recall if it was released what it was really, for a while it was thought to be Voltron even. The general consensus is it's some kind of Godzilla like monster film.

There have been a decent number of other Lovecraft movies made, and they are pretty hit and miss. I really want this to be good, but I refuse to get my hopes up. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised.

I feel left out. I've not read one of his works, and wouldn't know where to start if I wanted to.

Recommend me a starting point.

My favorite Lovecraft tale is probably The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, so I think that's a good starting point, but really at any bookstore there are a number of great compendiums of Lovecraft's stuff that will give you a ton of variety. Really you can just pick up one of those books and pick a story randomly and it will probably be damn good.

His longest story isn't very long, as he is from the grand old days of pulp fiction, but they are all deep in style and meaning. To me, no writer seems so in tune with the concept of fear as facing the unknown as Lovecraft. He's definitely one of my favorite authors, period. Him and Robert E. Howard.