The Mist - Movie

I can say, that for the first time in about 3 years, I expect to be scared shitless by this movie.

When I was about 8 years old, my mom had a copy of this on cassette tape in surround sound. Pretty big deal for that day and age. Anyway, we drove from Hartford, CT to Maine to visit my grandfather and she put this tape in.

In my mind, it was late at night because it was dark, and there was, oddly enough a light "fog". This tape scared me so badly that I was unable to leave the car with out someone on all sides of me.

A few years later, I spent a year only reading that story.

To this day, I still become very unnerved when encountering even a slight fog or mist.

I can't wait to see this movie and be scared out of my gourd like I was way back then.

Anyone else want to see this movie?

-Metal

I think that this will be cool, the trailer looked like it retained one of my favorite moments from the story. The reason I think this will work better as a film is because it is adapted from a novella that seemed pretty cinematic anyway. It's when they try to crush 600 page books into 2 hours (or even 5 hour miniseries) that it rarely works.

There are only a handful of movies based on King stories or books that stuck out to me, and even those are not real "classics" of horror film (with the possible exception of "The Shining," which is overrated).

The reason I think this will work better as a film is because it is adapted from a novella that seemed pretty cinematic anyway. It's when they try to crush 600 page books into 2 hours (or even 5 hour miniseries) that it rarely works.

Good point, the only thing I would think that *might* not work is that the story (at least in my mind) seemed short, so I wonder if they'll have to stretch the story to fill space. That would be the only thing that I could see as a potential issue.

-Metal

I posted this in the Beowulf thread, but here's my thoughts again on The Mist...

I am looking forward to Stephen King's The MIST. :zombie: ...yeah, I'm a sucker for 'monster' movies. And this one looks like it's right up my alley. Never read the book - never knew it existed in fact. :oops: But I am anxious to see this movie. :heh:

I love all Stephen King Movies, and can't wait to see this one. My all time favorite Stephen King Movie..........THE STAND, and if you watch it, the movie follows almost letter for letter the book.

...it's a story from 'skeleton crew'....

...the one thing that i hate when they make stephen king's stories into movies, is that they change the endings...

...the one story from there that i hope never makes it to a movie is 'survivor type'.......:zombie:...other than that, skeleton crew is my favorite collection of short stories by stephen king....

...it's a story from 'skeleton crew'....

...the one thing that i hate when they make stephen king's stories into movies, is that they change the endings...

...the one story from there that i hope never makes it to a movie is 'survivor type'.......:zombie:...other than that, skeleton crew is my favorite collection of short stories by stephen king....

Ooh, one of my favorites too--it was my very first. :)

I agree on the ending thing... can anyone say 'Needful Things'?? (Oh, and I believe I owe you a picture... yikes! I am forgetful.)

Shaye

I generally enjoy movies based off of King's books/short stories. Silver Bullet is one of my favorites, along with IT. I wasn't even aware of The Mist until people started talking about it in the Beowulf thread, but I'm definitely interested!

ive never read any of kings books, but ive seen the langoliers (sp), storm of the century, and the one with a clown i think? (maybe it was a different movie)

anyways they all were killer flicks, i imagine this one will melt faces

I am just glad to see a Stephen King movie. I am a fan of his stories and have seen all movie and t.v. adaptations of his work.

I've read and seen everything but Dreamcatcher, Dolores Claiborne and Apt Pupil, I believe, and I have to say most of the adaptations of King stories are disappointing, but the ones that aren't are often GREAT. The early ones--like Carrie, The Shining--wow! Scare the shit out of you. Still. Some of the latter ones--Shawshank Redemption in particular, The Green Mile--are just great movies, period. Most of the others are very hit-and-miss IMO and often wind up leaving out the very things that make King, well... King. Again, as a shining example of fucking a King story up, I offer you Needful Things... Lawnmower Man took nothing from King but the title, so I don't even count that one as an adaptation. (After seeing it, though, I never did like Jeff Fahey.)

I've read and seen everything but Dreamcatcher, Dolores Claiborne and Apt Pupil, I believe, and I have to say most of the adaptations of King stories are disappointing, but the ones that aren't are often GREAT. The early ones--like Carrie, The Shining--wow! Scare the shit out of you. Still. Some of the latter ones--Shawshank Redemption in particular, The Green Mile--are just great movies, period. Most of the others are very hit-and-miss IMO and often wind up leaving out the very things that make King, well... King. Again, as a shining example of fucking a King story up, I offer you Needful Things... Lawnmower Man took nothing from King but the title, so I don't even count that one as an adaptation. (After seeing it, though, I never did like Jeff Fahey.)

...after the incident with the dog in 'needful things', i stopped reading it...i really liked reading 'the green mile'...haven't seen the movie though...'the langoliers' was a weird movie....i still don't understand something that went on in it...(had to do with a knife)...

Tommyknockers was cool. Pet Cemetery was pretty good.

The Stand was a great mini-series.

I think I'm one of the few who enjoyed the "Room 1408" movie.

I get tired of movies/tv-series/shows changing key parts of books for no reason other than because they think they can tell a better story that way. I somewhat understand the need to condense books, but a good book has every event/passage in there for a reason, and omitting it can often just destroy what made a story great.

Though often what appeals people to reading a story, won't appeal them to a movie...

King's stories are often changed when made into a movie, and drastically.

Tommyknockers was cool. Pet Cemetery was pretty good.

The Stand was a great mini-series.

I think I'm one of the few who enjoyed the "Room 1408" movie.

I get tired of movies/tv-series/shows changing key parts of books for no reason other than because they think they can tell a better story that way. I somewhat understand the need to condense books, but a good book has every event/passage in there for a reason, and omitting it can often just destroy what made a story great.

Though often what appeals people to reading a story, won't appeal them to a movie...

King's stories are often changed when made into a movie, and drastically.

I've got no problem with adaptation in general... books and movies are two different art forms. Although I am one of the first to sit there and think "well, *that's* not in the book," I like to think I can usually see why something is different. One of the best adaptations ever bears little resemblance to the book, and yet captures its essence prefectly: Apocalypse Now, based on Heart of Darkness--absolutely brilliant. I also quite enjoy Interview with the Vampire and the Lord of the Rings movies, although there are things in each I don't necessarily agree with or even understand--for the most part, they both capture the stories extremely well. (And much as I think he's a crackpot and originally hated the idea of him playing Lestat, Tom Cruise does a brilliant job.)

It's when you completely ignore the essence of a work that ticks me off, and that's exactly what I think they often do with King (you can also count the movie of Queen of the Damned in here). They just don't "get" it and then they screw it all up. Some of it's King's style, and some of it is the Hollywood opinion of what's scary, which is so very different than mine. To me, what makes most of King's stories so scary is that they're so plausible. They don't always capture that.

Okay, rant over... sorry for running off at the keyboard like that!! :)

Shaye

Ok 'Needful Things' was the WORST SK movie ever attempted to be made into a movie... seriously... so many things deviated from the story it pissed me off... and then it would try to circle back to the story - it was just one big pile of steaming poo...

IT - my favorite King book of all time; the movie tried to do the book justice but really, as some have said, how can you cram over 1,000 pages of book into 3 1/2 hours (minus commericals!!) of movie?? I really should re-read that book... it's been years...

Cycle of the Werewolf was my fave King short story and the movie was really close to the book as well...

The Green Mile - and to me, by far the BEST adapted to film (having not read Shawshank Redemption yet, but the movie was really good)... the only thing the Green Mile didn't have was the prayer just before they took him to the chair - and reading that I BALLED LIKE A BABY.. yep books make me cry, that's right!!!

And as far as Anne Rice's stuff goes - I dug Stuart Townsend as Lestat better than Cruise, and it's probably complete biased on my part - I cannot STAND Cruise in any way shape or form... BLECK... And Queen of the Damned, my fave book of the vampire series - they had to cram Vampire Lestat book stuff into the movie as well, which took completely away from the great stuff they could've done with QotD... Ruined it... But Aailyah - she had Akashka DOWN...