custom snare sample (joey sturgis snare 1)

Personally I think you're overpricing these a little, when you can get Slate EX with 10 snares, 10 kicks, a few toms sets and a bunch of cymbals, made in a REALLY hifi environment, separate close/oh/room samples and a free player.. charging $55 for merely the .wav samples of one kit, with no separation of close/oh/room and no player is a little much IMO.

The last snare sounded good, def worth $5, but charging $5 for every single sample.. I'd rethink that personally.
edit: however, its your business.

i dont have nearly the volume of customers as slate

i have to reach 12000 dollars just to start supporting kontakt player.
and THEN i would have to buy several thousand serials to sell. at this point i only have 300 or so customers. so even if every customer came back, i'd have more than double my customer count in serials sitting there...

i think the simple fact that my samples ARENT slate but still work in a similair way are reason enough to buy them. everyone has slate now...

also, considering the amount of work that goes into making these, 5 dollars is a very little asking price to be compensated. honestly i can't even see this being worth it if i charged 2.50 and then had to pay the 30 cents on every paypal transaction giving me a net of 2.20 per sample, not including drum head cost, hosting costs, and others...

i don't know, 5 dollars seemed to be the magic number.

this is how they are written.

flam_1.gif

:danceboy:

I really dgaf how they're written - logic dictates the right hand is going to be stronger than the left hand (for like 90% of people), and the left hand is going to be the one after the main hit. Not to mention the hard hit is going to accentuate the down beat, not the 64th note after the downbeat.

If I played a flam, it'd be hard then medium, not the other way around, and that's what sounds right to me when I program it.

I would say 3 out of 4 drummers I record do hard first then medium

This.

that is just always how i have been taught to play flams since day 1 of playing drums, my body can't even do a hard first. also, flams are before the beat, with the second, harder hit on the beat as you can see in the picture.

that is a 'flam', otherwise you are programming/ playing 'two very close together hits'.

edit: this is just MY logic, and how i have been taught as a drummer much like some of you may have been taught picking methods etc.

if hard first works for you, then more power to ya.. do what works

Joey,

So you dropped the price. How do I get my $10 rebate?
Hope I wont get penalized for supporting your venture early.

that is just always how i have been taught to play flams since day 1 of playing drums, my body can't even do a hard first. also, flams are before the beat, with the second, harder hit on the beat as you can see in the picture.

that is a 'flam', otherwise you are programming/ playing 'two very close together hits'.

edit: this is just MY logic, and how i have been taught as a drummer much like some of you may have been taught picking methods etc.

if hard first works for you, then more power to ya.. do what works

I just don't see why you'd want the first hit to land before the beat - the point of a flam is to accentuate the downbeat by prolonging it a bit, not by playing a pickup note into it. I can see flams being used as a pickup note type thing into a fill or something, but the way we use it in metal to really solidify a certain beat or hit, it makes sense to lengthen it by having the first hit land on the downbeat and the 2nd just after.

I just don't see why you'd want the first hit to land before the beat - the point of a flam is to accentuate the downbeat by prolonging it a bit, not by playing a pickup note into it. I can see flams being used as a pickup note type thing into a fill or something, but the way we use it in metal to really solidify a certain beat or hit, it makes sense to lengthen it by having the first hit land on the downbeat and the 2nd just after.

I do the first hit landing on the downbeat, simply because when it gets quantized its that way. In reality one might be a bit before, the second a bit after.

However, doing the first hit softer than the second definitely makes it sound better. It's not totally logical because most drummers hit with their right hand harder (incl me), but it sounds better to me. Otherwise the second hit seems to get a bit lost.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Flams.mp3
(first flam is soft first, then alternates to hard first).

That said, there are no hard and fast rules, and I never stick to any single rule when programming. Once you learn to think like a drummer you can really manipulate things subtly with velocity changes.

I do the first hit landing on the downbeat, simply because when it gets quantized its that way. In reality one might be a bit before, the second a bit after.

However, doing the first hit softer than the second definitely makes it sound better. It's not totally logical because most drummers hit with their right hand harder (incl me), but it sounds better to me. Otherwise the second hit seems to get a bit lost.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Flams.mp3
(first flam is soft first, then alternates to hard first).

That said, there are no hard and fast rules, and I never stick to any single rule when programming. Once you learn to think like a drummer you can really manipulate things subtly with velocity changes.

Sounds good... ah what the hell I think it sounds good either way!

Joey, which cymbals were used on the I Am Abomination album? will those end up for sale at some point? Just curious, since I know the drums were programmed and the results are good.

Joey, what the difference of the Truth custom kick&snare with the term : alt, alt2 and the other ?
and do you think if it's possible to create the nkm files of snare1 and the detuned series ? it would help me a lot :)