Cyhra - Jesper and Peter's new band

Wow, he can actually speak!

Lol, I was at the “worst In Flames show ever” that Jesper was talking about. It was the 2002 Furnace Fest held in a former steel plant. My friend and I drove many hours to get there. We were hardcore kids who had turned into metalheads the year before so that festival was like true heaven for us.

It was our first time seeing In Flames and to us it was amazing, didn’t really remember any technical issues or anything with their set. We were up at the front head banging like crazy and giving the horns to Bjorn. Got their autographs afterwards on a Colony booklet.

He is kind of right that hardcore and metal at that time were still separate genres. Metalcore was JUST starting to come out. Another detail is that they played Reroute To Remain material for the first time ever I believe according to setlist. They also wore matching white jump suits. To us that was kind of nu metal. So, there were a lot of cynics there who might have been stand offish. Hardcore kids traditionally wore shorts or jeans and t shirts, short hair... In Flames looked a lot different in retrospect. Speaking for my friend and I, we were already disappointed by the RTR songs we had heard that had leaked. Not sure what others thought though.

Also, when compared to Hatebreed, yeah they had a much lower response. But the Hatebreed set was LEGENDARY! They had just released Perseverance, rising in popularity, and no one was tired of their songs yet. Jamey was not yet Headbangers ball host. Anyway the whole main stage area was a huge mosh pit with people hardcore dancing. It was amazing to see (I was more in the back and on the side for that). They had complete dominance of everyone there. No way In Flames could compete with that. And anyone who has ever hardcore danced for 45 minutes, everyone was dead afterwards. Here is a video of the first song in their set. If it’s not your style skip to 1:45 and watch to the end and you’ll see what In Flames was up against, LOL, “a fucking prison riot”.

But you know who really stole the show at that festival... it was Andrew W.K. We all showed up to Be Serious and Be Hardcore and when we saw this guy on the list we were like WTF? Everyone is going to leave when he plays. Actually it was the total opposite. He had the whole place going crazy with this party rock. It was insane.

Unfortunately I can’t find any footage of In Flames’ set from that fest but again... I guess that validates what Jesper was saying about the fan interest. I was up front and didn’t notice much.

Anyway, awesome few days. It’s really funny to me that Jesper’s worst show is one of the best ones I’ve been to.

Last edited:
It's kinda funny Euge came from Shining to Cyhra, talk about a transition in styles.

Like, I know the Cyhra album is not really all that deep. It's basically poppy power metal lite. But the melodies are great, and it's kind of just enjoyably shallow music. But man, I hate how the album just sorta gets boring in the second half.

Jesper could do better.

Did they move to New York or did they just record there?

As far as I'm aware they just recorded there. Jesper seems to be in love with NY though so maybe he'll move there - but I'm fairly sure he wouldn't be able to get a green card?

Like, I know the Cyhra album is not really all that deep. It's basically poppy power metal lite. But the melodies are great, and it's kind of just enjoyably shallow music. But man, I hate how the album just sorta gets boring in the second half.

Jesper could do better.

I feel like with repeated listens I've heard little things across each song that I didn't hear first few times. The album is deeper than people give it credit for, although in terms of song structures it isn't doing anything special.

I gotta disagree on the second half of the album being boring, too. I really like Letter to Myself, Holding Your Breath, Black Wings and Inside a Lullaby (key melodies in this are really nice). The other songs are OK but could be defined as filler.

Haven't heard it yet, will check it out if I get any free time in the near future...

You need a dog of your own. Just to take her for a walk. It's the best way to listen to music without inconveniences.

Sadly impossible as I'm renting, but I walk 30 mins to work so I usually listen to music whilst walking anyway.

https://overdrive-mag.com/2017/11/0...erent-jesper-interview-jake-e-cyhra-part/amp/

Interview with Jake.

“We’re booking concerts now, we have some Summer festivals lined up, we’re working on more of those. There’s a lot of shows that are confirmed, but they’re not official. We’re working on tours, so things will happen in the beginning of next year. We’re taking it a little bit slow, letting the album spin a little bit before Christmas time, and then we’ll probably head off at the end of January, beginning of February."

'As for the electronic elements on the album, Jake E explains, “It was probably me because I’m so used after writing three – I won’t say four albums, because I was really not writing much on the latest Amaranthe album – but in Amaranthe, we always used keyboards and electronics to make the sound more. As you can hear on the CyHra album, the keyboards and the electronics are not in the forefront of the mix, but you can still hear them. They’re there, but they have a cause, because they make the whole landscape of the sound bigger than if you would just have the guitars, drums and vocals. That’s something that from now on I think we’ll always use. On one of the songs there’s this modern electronic sound, and on some of the others they’re more orchestrated, violin sounds. It’s a mixture of different things.”'